Big Math Course Load - Is it Too Much?

In summary, the person is planning on taking a heavy course load for their next year, with four math courses in each semester. They are concerned about handling the workload during exam period but believe they will be able to manage as long as they devote enough time to their courses. The person is also taking into consideration prerequisites and the complementary nature of their chosen courses. They have dropped the complex analysis course in favor of a more manageable schedule and are seeking input on their final schedule.
wisvuze
Hello, for my next year I will be taking the following math courses:

first semester:
differential equations ( honours version )
"advanced calculus" ( spivak's calculus on manifolds course )
complex analysis
algebra ( groups, rings, fields )

second semester:

continuing the spivak course
continuing algebra
combinatorical methods ( obviously a combinatorics type course )

Do you think this is too heavy a course load for me? I feel like I'd be able to handle it.. but what will happen come exam period?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
While the courses seem pretty heavy in terms of the subject material it is still only 4 courses. Usually a full courseload is 5 per semester. As long as you devote enough time to your courses I don't see there being a problem.

What year are you? Don't waste all your fun classes in one semester.

Only you know if you can handle it. Hopefully you won't have all your exams on exactly the same days. Come finals week, you will just be studying a lot of math.

This sounds like a full course load. Make sure the prereqs work out though. In my university, you could only take complex analysis after real analysis. But if your prereqs only demand a knowledge of calculus, then it's ok.

Your courses will be quite complimentary, which is a good thing. You will work with line integrals in both the complex analysis course as the calculus on manifolds course. So those theories reinforce each other.

Algebra is easy if you're familiar with proofs. And differential equations also shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Your courseload is certainly not too heavy, maybe it is even a bit on the light side (certainly second semester, where you only take 3 courses).

thank you for your input! the courses I've listed there would be my math courses only, I would have to take elective( s ) as well.

the complex analysis course doesn't list real analysis as a pre-requisite, but it lists the advanced calculus course as one. From what I've heard, the pre-requisites aren't very accurate though, and I should be fine with enough "mathematical maturity"

I think this seems like a decent final schedule:

first semester:
first semester of calculus on manifolds
honours differential equations
first semester of algebra ( the full course is also called groups, rings, fields. includes galois theory too )
first semester of "material culture" ( for social science breadth requirement )

second semester:
second semester of calculus on manifolds
second semester of algebra
combinatorial methods ( this class might be tough, it's a 4th year course and it is a small class )
second semester of "material culture" ( for social science breadth requirement )

This way, I can be in three math courses each semester, while my breadth course sits evenly on both semesters ( I will need a full year of breadth, so this should work okay )

I dropped complex analysis out of the picture, because if I had kept it, I would have 5 courses in one semester ( which would be pretty hectic ). I would take it in the second semester instead of combinatorial methods, but it's unfortunately only offered in the first semester. I also want to have as much time as possible to actually soak in the courses, so I don't burn out and appreciate the material fully.
How does this sound? Not pushing myself hard enough?

thank you

Related to Big Math Course Load - Is it Too Much?

1. What exactly is a "Big Math Course Load"?

A "Big Math Course Load" refers to a heavy workload of math courses, typically taken by students pursuing degrees or careers in mathematics, science, engineering, or other related fields. This can include a high number of math courses in a single semester or a combination of advanced and challenging math courses.

2. How do I know if a "Big Math Course Load" is too much for me?

The answer to this question varies for each individual. Some factors to consider include your level of proficiency in math, your time management skills, and the level of difficulty of the specific math courses. It is important to also consider your other commitments and responsibilities outside of academics.

3. Can taking a "Big Math Course Load" be beneficial?

Yes, a "Big Math Course Load" can be beneficial for students who are passionate about math and wish to excel in this subject. It can also help students who are pursuing degrees or careers in math-related fields to stay on track with their academic goals and build a strong foundation in mathematics.

4. What are some tips for managing a "Big Math Course Load"?

Some tips for managing a "Big Math Course Load" include creating a schedule and sticking to it, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, staying organized, and practicing effective study habits. It is also important to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

5. Are there any potential downsides to taking a "Big Math Course Load"?

While taking a "Big Math Course Load" can have its benefits, it is important to consider potential downsides such as increased stress, lack of time for extracurricular activities, and potential impact on other courses. It is important to find a balance and prioritize your mental and physical well-being while pursuing a heavy math course load.