Big O and Θ question, mostly needs checking

• Thread starter SpiffyEh
  • Start date
In summary, Big O and Θ notation are tools used to analyze the time and space complexity of an algorithm. They help in understanding how the performance of an algorithm changes with the input size. The main difference between the two is that Big O represents the upper bound of time complexity, while Θ notation represents the average case complexity. To determine time complexity using these notations, you need to count the number of operations performed by the algorithm and compare it to the corresponding notation. The worst-case time complexity in Big O notation is the maximum number of operations for any input size. These notations can be used for all types of algorithms and are also helpful in comparing different algorithms to determine the most efficient one.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

For each of these questions, briefly explain your answer.
(a) If I prove that an algorithm takes O(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
takes O(n) on some inputs?
(b) If I prove that an algorithm takes O(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
takes O(n) on all inputs?
(c) If I prove that an algorithm takes Θ(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
takes O(n) on some inputs?
(d) If I prove that an algorithm takes Θ(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
takes O(n) on all inputs?
(e) Is the function f(n) = Θ(n^2), where f(n) = 100n^2 for even n and f(n) =
20n^2 − n log2 n for odd n?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand a few of these ( I think). Here's what I have so far:
a) Yes, because big O is an upper bound and O(n) is smaller than O(n^2) it is possible some inputs have a big O of O(n)
b) No, because if the worst case time is O(n^2) then some inputs must have O(n^2) if all the inputs had O(n) then the worst case would be O(n) instead of O(n^2)
c) needs help
d) if Θ(n^2) is the worst time its not possible it takes Θ(n) on all inputs, otherwise the worst case Θ would be Θ(n) rather than Θ(n^2)
e) i did c_2 * g(n) =< f(n) =< c_1 * g(n) where f(n) = 100n^2 for every even n
c_2 * n^2 =< 100n^2 =< c_1* n^2 which is true for certain n values, so its proven
for the odd part i did the same thing, since you can drop the lower terms i dropped the 2logn part and just had f(n)=20n^2, then did the same method. Is this correct?

I don't understand what to do for c, i know that Θ is a tight bound upper and lower so i don't know if Θ(n) is possible. Could someone please explain this to me? And if you have time could you please check my other answers? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Let me try to explain each question and provide some insight on your answers:

a) Yes, you are correct. Since big O notation is an upper bound, it is possible for an algorithm to have a worst-case time complexity of O(n^2) and still have some inputs that have a time complexity of O(n). This is because the worst-case time complexity is just the upper limit, and there could be inputs that do not trigger the worst-case scenario.

b) Your answer is correct. If an algorithm has a worst-case time complexity of O(n^2), then it is not possible for all inputs to have a time complexity of O(n). This is because if all inputs had a time complexity of O(n), then the worst-case time complexity would also be O(n) instead of O(n^2).

c) In this case, the algorithm has a tight bound of Θ(n^2), which means that it has a worst-case time complexity of n^2, but it could also have a best-case time complexity of n^2. Therefore, it is not possible for the algorithm to have a time complexity of O(n) on some inputs, since O(n) is a lower bound.

d) Your answer is correct. If an algorithm has a tight bound of Θ(n^2), then it is not possible for it to have a time complexity of O(n) on all inputs, since O(n) is a lower bound.

e) Your approach is correct. You have shown that the function f(n) is bounded by two functions - 100n^2 and 20n^2. Therefore, it falls within the range of Θ(n^2).

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of these questions. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Big O and Θ question, mostly needs checking

What is the concept of Big O and Θ notation?

Big O and Θ notation are mathematical tools used to analyze the time and space complexity of an algorithm. They help in understanding how the performance of an algorithm changes with the input size.

What is the difference between Big O and Θ notation?

The main difference between Big O and Θ notation is that Big O represents the upper bound of the algorithm's time complexity, while Θ notation represents the average case complexity.

How do you determine the time complexity of an algorithm using Big O and Θ notation?

To determine the time complexity of an algorithm using Big O and Θ notation, you need to count the number of operations performed by the algorithm as a function of the input size. Then, you can compare it to the corresponding Big O or Θ notation to determine the algorithm's time complexity.

What is the worst-case time complexity of an algorithm represented in Big O notation?

The worst-case time complexity of an algorithm represented in Big O notation is the maximum number of operations the algorithm will perform for any input size.

Can Big O and Θ notation be used for all types of algorithms?

Yes, Big O and Θ notation can be used for all types of algorithms, including sorting, searching, and other computational problems. They are also used to compare different algorithms and determine the most efficient one.