Big-O and Θ Questions Homework: Answers Explained

• Thread starter Smish
  • Start date
In summary, an algorithm that takes O(n^2) worst-case time could take O(n) on some inputs, but not all.
Smish

Homework Statement

For each of these questions, briefly explain your answer.
(a) If I prove that an algorithm takes O(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
takes O(n) on some inputs?
(b) If I prove that an algorithm takes O(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
takes O(n) on all inputs?
(c) If I prove that an algorithm takes Θ(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
(d) If I prove that an algorithm takes Θ(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
(e) Is the function f(n) = Θ(n^2), where f(n) = 100n^2 for even n and f(n) =
20n^2 − n log2 n for odd n?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand a few of these ( I think). Here's what I have so far:
a) Yes, because big O is an upper bound and O(n) is smaller than O(n^2) it is possible some inputs have a big O of O(n)
b) No, because if the worst case time is O(n^2) then some inputs must have O(n^2) if all the inputs had O(n) then the worst case would be O(n) instead of O(n^2)
c) needs help
d) if Θ(n^2) is the worst time its not possible it takes Θ(n) on all inputs, otherwise the worst case Θ would be Θ(n) rather than Θ(n^2)
e) i did c_2 * g(n) =< f(n) =< c_1 * g(n) where f(n) = 100n^2 for every even n
c_2 * n^2 =< 100n^2 =< c_1* n^2 which is true for certain n values, so its proven
for the odd part i did the same thing, since you can drop the lower terms i dropped the 2logn part and just had f(n)=20n^2, then did the same method. Is this correct?

I don't understand what to do for c, i know that Θ is a tight bound upper and lower so i don't know if Θ(n) is possible. Could someone please explain this to me? And if you have time could you please check my other answers? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Smish said:

Homework Statement

For each of these questions, briefly explain your answer.
(a) If I prove that an algorithm takes O(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
(b) If I prove that an algorithm takes O(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
(c) If I prove that an algorithm takes Θ(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
(d) If I prove that an algorithm takes Θ(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
(e) Is the function f(n) = Θ(n^2), where f(n) = 100n^2 for even n and f(n) =
20n^2 − n log2 n for odd n?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand a few of these ( I think). Here's what I have so far:
a) Yes, because big O is an upper bound and O(n) is smaller than O(n^2) it is possible some inputs have a big O of O(n)
b) No, because if the worst case time is O(n^2) then some inputs must have O(n^2) if all the inputs had O(n) then the worst case would be O(n) instead of O(n^2)

That just says ##O(n^2)## isn't the best bound, but it is surely a correct bound.

c) needs help

Remember ##\Theta(n^2)## is sharp. So the answer to c depends on whether it might be possible to use ##\Theta(n)## in this case. What do you think?

d) if Θ(n^2) is the worst time its not possible it takes Θ(n) on all inputs, otherwise the worst case Θ would be Θ(n) rather than Θ(n^2)
Correct. Unlike the situation for ##O(n^2)##.
e) i did c_2 * g(n) =< f(n) =< c_1 * g(n) where f(n) = 100n^2 for every even n
c_2 * n^2 =< 100n^2 =< c_1* n^2 which is true for certain n values, so its proven
for the odd part i did the same thing, since you can drop the lower terms i dropped the 2logn part and just had f(n)=20n^2, then did the same method. Is this correct?

I don't understand what to do for c, i know that Θ is a tight bound upper and lower so i don't know if Θ(n) is possible. Could someone please explain this to me? And if you have time could you please check my other answers? Thank you

Once you understand c and d, I think you will see the answer to e is very easy.

I think I'm starting to get it.

So in c, having it take O(n) on some inputs would mean that it would have to be at least Ω(n). So it couldn't be Θ(n^2). And if that's correct I think I know how to solve question d.

Thank you for the help by the way.

Smish said:
I think I'm starting to get it.

So in c, having it take O(n) on some inputs would mean that it would have to be at least Ω(n). So it couldn't be Θ(n^2). And if that's correct I think I know how to solve question d.

Thank you for the help by the way.

But if it is worst case ##\Theta(n^2)## that means it has lots of terms like ##n^2## or the theta order would be less.

LCKurtz said:
But if it is worst case ##\Theta(n^2)## that means it has lots of terms like ##n^2## or the theta order would be less.

I see. So I'm taking another crack at e again.

From what I understand, for the even f(n) = 100n^2 the Θ(n^2) holds true because all the terms in this are to the power of n^2. However for the odd f(n) = 20n^2 − n log2 n the O(n^2) holds true but the Ω(n^2) doesn't hold true because of the n log2 n. Since f(n) isn't both Ω(n^2) and O(n^2), then it isn't Θ(n^2).

Smish said:
I see. So I'm taking another crack at e again.

From what I understand, for the even f(n) = 100n^2 the Θ(n^2) holds true because all the terms in this are to the power of n^2. However for the odd f(n) = 20n^2 − n log2 n the O(n^2) holds true but the Ω(n^2) doesn't hold true because of the n log2 n. Since f(n) isn't both Ω(n^2) and O(n^2), then it isn't Θ(n^2).

I think you are getting it now.

LCKurtz said:
I think you are getting it now.

Couldn't have gotten it without your help. Thank you so much for clarifying it.

FAQ: Big-O and Θ Questions Homework: Answers Explained

1. What is Big-O notation?

Big-O notation is a way of describing the time complexity of an algorithm. It represents the worst-case scenario for the number of operations an algorithm will perform based on the size of its input.

2. How is Big-O notation calculated?

Big-O notation is calculated by looking at the performance of an algorithm as the size of its input approaches infinity. It considers the dominant factor in the algorithm's time complexity and ignores any constants or lower-order terms.

3. What is the difference between Big-O and Θ notation?

Big-O notation represents the upper bound of the time complexity of an algorithm, while Θ notation represents the average case time complexity. In other words, Big-O notation tells us the maximum number of operations an algorithm will perform, while Θ notation tells us the exact number of operations.

4. Why is understanding Big-O and Θ notation important?

Understanding Big-O and Θ notation allows us to analyze the efficiency of an algorithm and compare it to other algorithms. It also helps us predict how an algorithm will perform as the input size increases, allowing us to choose the most efficient algorithm for a given problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Big-O and Θ notation?

To improve your understanding of Big-O and Θ notation, you can practice analyzing the time complexity of different algorithms, read articles and tutorials on the topic, and work on coding challenges that require you to optimize your algorithms for efficiency.