Bilinear Transformation problem

In summary, the bilinear transformation that maps the points z1=infinity, z2=i, z3=0 to the points w1=0, w2=i, w3=infinity is -1/z, with the constants c and b being irrelevant and only well defined up to an overall multiplicative factor.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the bilinear transformation that maps the points z1=infinity, z2=i, z3=0 to the points w1=0, w2=i, w3=infinity.

Homework Equations

w=(az+b)/(cz+d)

The answer is -1/z

The Attempt at a Solution

We have:
infinity --> 0
i --> i
0 --> infinity

Since 0 goes to infinity, it means the denominator "is 0", so therefore d must be 0 in our relevant equation right off the bat.

If we take the limit as z--> infinity, we are supposed to get w=0, so 0=a/c in the limit and we see that a=0.

So now we are left with b/cz
and i-->

i=b/(ci) and we see that -c=b

But how do I prove here that c=1, and b=-1 instead of something else?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
But how do I prove here that c=1, and b=-1 instead of something else?
This is irrelevant. If you take c = 2 and b = -2, you end up with the same transformation (i.e., the constants are only well defined up to an overall multiplicative factor).

Hm. Excellent, so what you are saying is it does not need to be proved since it's irrelevant.
It may as well be c=100, and b=-100 and then w'ed have
-100/(100z) which reduces to -1/z

Thanks.

FAQ: Bilinear Transformation problem

1. What is a bilinear transformation?

A bilinear transformation is a mathematical transformation that maps complex numbers from one domain to another. It is commonly used in the field of signal processing to convert continuous-time signals to discrete-time signals. It is also used in the study of complex functions and their properties.

2. What is the purpose of using a bilinear transformation?

The purpose of using a bilinear transformation is to simplify mathematical calculations and analysis of complex functions. It allows for the conversion of functions from one domain to another, making it easier to study and manipulate them.

3. How is a bilinear transformation represented mathematically?

A bilinear transformation is represented as a rational function in the form of (az + b)/(cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex coefficients. This function maps points from the z-plane to the w-plane, where z and w are complex variables.

4. What is the difference between a bilinear transformation and a linear transformation?

A bilinear transformation is a special case of a linear transformation, where the input and output variables are complex numbers. Unlike a linear transformation, a bilinear transformation involves the multiplication of two complex variables, making it more complex and nonlinear.

5. How is a bilinear transformation used in signal processing?

In signal processing, a bilinear transformation is used to convert continuous-time signals to discrete-time signals, which can then be analyzed and manipulated using digital signal processing techniques. It is also used in the design of digital filters, as it allows for the transformation of analog filters to their digital counterparts.