Billy 's question at Yahoo Answers (Complex analysis)

In summary, the function $f(z)=z+1/z$ can be written in the form $f(z)=u(r,\theta)+iv(r,\theta)$ as $u(r,\theta) = \left (r+\frac{1}{r}\right)\cos\theta$ and $v(r,\theta) = \left (r-\frac{1}{r}\right)\sin\theta$.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

write the function f(z)=z+1/z (z cannot = 0)
in the form f(z)=u(r,theta) + iv(r,theta)

Here is a link to the question:

Complex analysis help? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Billy,

Using $z=r(\cos\theta+i\sin\theta)=re^{i\theta}$ and if $z\neq 0$ (i.e. $r\neq 0)$:
$$\begin{aligned}f(z)&=z+\frac{1}{z}\\&=re^{ i\theta}+\frac{1}{re^{i\theta}}\\&=re^{i\theta}+ \frac{1}{r}e^{-i\theta}\\&=r(\cos \theta+i\sin\theta)+ \frac{1}{r}(\cos \theta -i\sin\theta)\\&= \left (r+\frac{1}{r}\right)\cos\theta +i\left (r-\frac{1}{r}\right)\sin\theta\end{aligned}$$

Last edited:

Related to Billy 's question at Yahoo Answers (Complex analysis)

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves analyzing the properties and behavior of functions that have complex numbers as inputs or outputs.

2. Why is complex analysis important?

Complex analysis has many real-world applications, particularly in physics, engineering, and economics. It also provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems in other areas of mathematics.

3. What are some key concepts in complex analysis?

Some key concepts in complex analysis include complex numbers, analytic functions, contour integrals, Cauchy's integral theorem, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These concepts are used to study the behavior of functions in the complex plane.

4. How is complex analysis different from real analysis?

Complex analysis and real analysis are branches of mathematics that deal with the study of functions, but they use different sets of numbers. Real analysis deals with functions of real numbers, while complex analysis deals with functions of complex numbers. Additionally, complex analysis has its own unique theorems and techniques.

5. What are some common applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. Some specific examples include signal processing, fluid dynamics, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the development of algorithms for solving problems in these areas.