BinariesWhat are some free Fortran compilers for Mac OSX?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, Fortran is a high-level programming language used in scientific and engineering applications. It has been continuously updated and improved since its development in the 1950s. A Fortran compiler translates source code into machine code, while an interpreter executes code directly. There are several Fortran compilers compatible with OSX, each with unique features. The installation process varies but can be found through instructions or online resources. Some Fortran compilers for OSX may require a fee, while others are free and open-source. It is important to research and compare compilers to find the best fit for your needs and budget.
Saladsamurai
I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any free Fortran compilers for OSX on Mac? I am going to be starting some work that requires the use of Fortran and though I have a Windows machine, I would like to use my Mac since it is faster.

I have Googled around, but I am really not sure what I am looking for. Any recommendations are appreciated.

~Casey

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to BinariesWhat are some free Fortran compilers for Mac OSX?

What is Fortran?

Fortran is a high-level programming language commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It was first developed in the 1950s and has been continuously updated and improved since then.

What is the difference between a Fortran compiler and an interpreter?

A Fortran compiler is a program that translates source code written in Fortran into machine code, which can be directly executed by a computer. An interpreter, on the other hand, executes the source code directly without the need for compilation.

Are there specific compilers for Fortran on OSX?

Yes, there are several Fortran compilers that are compatible with OSX, including GNU Fortran, Intel Fortran, and PGI Fortran. Each of these compilers has its own unique features and capabilities.

How do I install a Fortran compiler on OSX?

The installation process for a Fortran compiler on OSX will vary depending on the specific compiler you choose. However, most compilers will come with detailed instructions for installation, and there are also many online resources and forums that can provide guidance.

Is there a cost for using a Fortran compiler on OSX?

Some Fortran compilers for OSX may require a license or subscription fee, while others are open-source and free to use. It is important to research and compare different compilers to determine which best fits your needs and budget.