Binary cycle power plants – One small part I don’t get

In summary, a binary cycle power plant uses a condenser to cool the fluid and a pump to control the flow of the water. The pump is necessary because the turbine does not run on hot water, but on the pressure created when water turns into steam. The condenser also creates a vacuum to increase the flow of steam through the turbine. The pump uses minimal energy as the water is heated by the ground for free.
thenewmans
I don’t get how a http://www1.eere.energy.gov/geothermal/powerplants.html#binarycycle" keeps the fluid flowing in one direction. My guess is it has something to do (1) with the condenser and (2) with a pump thrown in. The problem with a pump is that it must use up as much energy as the heat puts in.

1 – Why would you have a condenser cool the fluid if you’re just going to heat it up again?
2 – A binary cycle power plant is very much the inverse of an air conditioner. But an air conditioner contains a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_valve" . The opposite of that is a pump. (There’s no pump in the diagram.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably have a pump to send the cold water down and get th ehot water up. You could arrange it so the different densities of the water made it flow naturally but I suspect a pump makes control easier. there is almost certainly a valve for control and safety.

The reason for the condenser is that the turbine doesn't run on hot water - it runs on the pressure created when water turns into steam, you need to condense the steam back into water to use it again. In fact in a real systme the condensor creates a partial vacuum which increases the flow of the steam through the turbine.

The pump uses very little energy, the water is being heated by the ground to very high temperatures for 'free'.

I can understand your confusion about the mechanics of a binary cycle power plant. Allow me to provide some clarification.

Firstly, let's address the purpose of the condenser. The condenser is responsible for cooling down the working fluid after it has been heated and expanded in the turbine. This cooling process allows the fluid to return to its liquid state, which is necessary for it to continue cycling through the system. Without the condenser, the fluid would remain in a gaseous state and the cycle would not be able to continue.

Now, let's discuss the role of the pump. In a binary cycle power plant, the pump is used to circulate the working fluid through the system. This pump does not consume as much energy as the heat put in because it is only responsible for maintaining the flow of the fluid, not for heating it. The heat is provided by the geothermal source, which is constantly replenishing the energy in the system.

In terms of the inverse relationship between a binary cycle power plant and an air conditioner, it is important to note that the two systems have different purposes. An air conditioner is designed to cool a space, while a binary cycle power plant is designed to generate electricity. Therefore, their mechanics and components may differ.

I hope this helps to clarify your confusion about binary cycle power plants. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. As scientists, it is our job to continuously seek understanding and expand our knowledge.

Related to Binary cycle power plants – One small part I don’t get

1. What is a binary cycle power plant?

A binary cycle power plant is a type of geothermal power plant that uses hot water or steam from deep underground to generate electricity. The "binary" part refers to the use of a secondary fluid, typically a hydrocarbon, to transfer heat from the geothermal fluid to a turbine.

2. How does a binary cycle power plant work?

In a binary cycle power plant, geothermal fluid is pumped from deep underground through a heat exchanger, where it heats up a secondary fluid. The secondary fluid then vaporizes and drives a turbine, which powers a generator to produce electricity. The geothermal fluid is then reinjected back into the earth.

3. What is the purpose of using a secondary fluid in a binary cycle power plant?

The secondary fluid in a binary cycle power plant acts as a medium for transferring heat from the geothermal fluid to the turbine. This allows the geothermal fluid, which may contain corrosive or abrasive minerals, to remain in the ground and not damage the turbine. The secondary fluid can also be easily replaced if it becomes contaminated.

4. What is the advantage of using a binary cycle power plant over other types of geothermal power plants?

One advantage of binary cycle power plants is that they can operate at lower temperatures than other types of geothermal power plants. This means they can be used in areas with lower heat resources, making them more widely applicable. They also have a smaller environmental impact, as the geothermal fluid is reinjected back into the earth.

5. What is the small part of binary cycle power plants that is often misunderstood?

The small part of binary cycle power plants that is often misunderstood is the use of a secondary fluid. Many people assume that the geothermal fluid itself is used to drive the turbine, but in reality, it is the secondary fluid that is vaporized and used to generate electricity.