Binary Operation True or False statements

• Thread starter Solid Snake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, the first statement is true because a binary operation on a set S can assign one element or more to each ordered pair of elements of S. The second statement is also true because a binary operation can assign one element or less to each ordered pair of elements of S. The key words "AT LEAST ONE" and "AT MOST ONE" imply that there can be additional elements assigned, but not necessarily more than one. Therefore, both statements are true.
Solid Snake
State True or False for each statement:
1. A binary operation on a set S assigns AT LEAST ONE element of S to each ordered pair of elements of S.

2. A binary operation on a set S assigns AT MOST ONE element of S to each ordered pair of elements of S.

3. A binary operation on a set S assigns EXACTLY ONE element of S to each ordered pair of elements of S.

4. A binary operation on a set S may assign more than one element of S to some ordered pair of elements of S.

I already know from the answer reference in the book I'm using, that numbers 1, 2, 3 are true and 4 is false. To me, the 3rd one being true makes perfect sense, no explanation needed. I know the definition of a binary operator. Also the 4th one being false makes 100% perfect sense to me. But I don't understand why the 1st and 2nd statements are true.

When reading the words "AT LEAST ONE" in the first statement, I interpret that the sentence opens the possibility of there existing 2 or 3 or 4, etc elements assigned. If this is the case, the statement would be false. Yet the books says it is true.

Same with the second statement. When reading the words "AT MOST ONE", I understand that the possibility exists that there could be NO element assigned because zero is less than one, or there could be one. If there is no element assigned, then it is false. But if there is one element assigned, it is true. The wording of the sentences confuse me.

Someone please explain this better for me! Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this: [tex]
1 \ge 1
\\ 1 \le 1
[/tex] Are these true or false?

Related to Binary Operation True or False statements

1. What is a binary operation?

A binary operation is a mathematical operation that takes two inputs and produces a single output. It is typically denoted by a symbol between the two inputs, such as addition (+) or multiplication (x).

2. What are true and false statements in binary operations?

In binary operations, true and false statements refer to whether a given statement is true or false when the operation is applied to two inputs. For example, in addition, the statement "2 + 2 = 4" is true, while "3 + 6 = 9" is false.

3. How do you determine if a binary operation is commutative?

A binary operation is commutative if switching the order of the inputs does not change the output. For example, addition is commutative because 2 + 3 = 3 + 2. However, subtraction is not commutative because 3 - 2 ≠ 2 - 3.

4. Can a binary operation be both commutative and associative?

Yes, a binary operation can be both commutative and associative. For example, addition is both commutative (2 + 3 = 3 + 2) and associative (2 + (3 + 4) = (2 + 3) + 4).

5. How are binary operations used in computer science?

Binary operations are commonly used in computer science to perform calculations and comparisons. They are also essential in Boolean logic, where they are used to evaluate logical expressions and make decisions based on these evaluations.