Binding energy, Coulomb energy

In summary, the nuclear radius for the mirror nuclide ##^{15}O## is 3.420752fm while for the mirror nuclide ##^{15}N## it is 3.67fm. The difference in binding energy between the two nuclides exclusively depends on the difference in Coulomb energy.
Incand

Homework Statement

a) Calculate the difference in binding energy between the mirror nuclide ##^{15}O## and ##^{15}N##.
b) Calculate the radius of both nuclide’s assuming the difference in binding energy exclusively depends on difference in Coulomb energy.

Homework Equations

Mean nuclear radius
##R = R_0A^{1/3}##.
Binding energy
##B = \left[ Zm(^1H)+Nm_n-m(^AX)\right]c^2##.
Binding energy due to Coulomb repulsion between protons
##E_c = -\frac{3}{5}\frac{e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0 R_0} Z(Z-1)A^{-1/3}##.
Constants:
##m(^1H) = 1.007825u##
##m_n = 1.00866501u##
##m(^{15}O) = 15.003065u##
##m(^{15}N)=15.000109u##
##1 u = 931.502MeV/c^2##
##\frac{e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0} = 1.439976MeV \cdot fm##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I solved part a) but I'm having trouble with part b).
The difference in binding energy should be
##\Delta B = \left[ m_n-m(^1H)+m(^{15}O)-m(^{15}N\right] = (0.00379601u)/c^2 = 3.536MeV##. (The answer says ##3.532## but I guess I worked with more decimals)

The difference in Coulomb energy should be (since ##8\cdot 7 - 7\cdot 6 = 14##)
##\Delta B= 3/5 \frac{e^2}{4\pi \epsilon_0R_0} 14A^{-1/3}##
##R = R_0A^{1/3} = \frac{3\cdot 14 \cdot 1.439976}{5\cdot 3.536}fm = 3.420752fm##
The answer however says ##R = 3.67fm## so I did something wrong (using 3.532 instead doesn't change anything)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
check the calculation .
what value of R0 was taken? As i find people taking different values!

drvrm said:
check the calculation .
what value of R0 was taken? As i find people taking different values!
As I understand the question I should compute ##R_0## from knowing the binding energy (actually ##R_0A^{(1/3)}##).

The typical value for ##R_0## I've seen is ##R_0 \approx 1.2fm## but from my calculation I have a value of ##R_0 =1.38## (and from the answer I would need an even larger ##R_0##. So perhaps I'm doing something wrong as I understand it ##R_0## should be about the same for a nuclide. I'm not entirely sure I'm using the right formulas either, they were simply the ones that seemed to apply to the question.

For a nucleus with A nucleons, including Z protons and N neutrons, a semi-empirical formula for the binding energy (BE) per nucleon is:

ba781d47f57680bfa05cecae128018b0.png

where the coefficients are given by:
6e636a65e044a711bcf2291147e23e47.png
;
ee7848ef02b293553a87dfd086501f3c.png
;
29bb3ddcf2ffcb39e1a79007bb680ffa.png
;
7d4b87252fac76a7c6d5772afe4dfccc.png
;
b32d251d4b0da090a11bfa7ceeb212f2.png
. one can have an estimate by third term of the mass formula - just to check (ref.wiki)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucle...iempirical_formula_for_nuclear_binding_energy

Likes Incand
Essentially I'm using the coulomb term out of the that formula. However the version I have is different from the one on wikipedia. My book says
##B = a_vA -a_sA^{(2/3)}-a_cZ(Z-1)A^{(-1/3)}-a_{\text{sym}}\frac{(A-2Z)^2}{A}+\delta.##
Note the difference in the Coulomb term.
If I use ##Z^2## I indeed get the correct result just correcting my earlier value with ##3.42\cdot \frac{15}{14} = 3.67## (since ##8^2-7^2=15##).
Now I'm confused why there's ##Z(Z-1)## in the version In my book. The book argue that the term is proportional to ##Z(Z-1)## since each proton repels each of the other ones.

Nucleus Ro (in fermis)

B11 1.28

C13 1.34

N15 1.31

O17 1.26

F19 1.26

Ne21 1.25

Na23 1.22

Mg23 1.23

Al27 1.20

ref.
http://www.bhojvirtualuniversity.com/ss/sim/physics/msc_f_phy_p3u1.doc
The energy discrepancy is because of the use of classical principles instead of quantum mechanical principles in calculating the coulomb energy Ec..

Likes Incand
Incand said:
Note the difference in the Coulomb term.
If I use Z2Z2Z^2 I indeed get the correct result just correcting my earlier value with

The difference from wiki is that Wiki Formula is for B/A -binding energy per nucleon - but meanwhile i think its R0 value which changes with nucleids may be responsible for the difference.

Likes Incand
Incand said:
Now I'm confused why there's Z(Z−1)Z(Z−1)Z(Z-1) in the version In my book. The book argue that the term is proportional to Z(Z−1)Z(Z−1)Z(Z-1) since each proton repels each of the other ones.

actually its Z(Z-1) but approximated to Z^2 so when you use the former you are very correct. the culprit seems to be R0 value.

Likes Incand
Thanks for all the help! I believe the answer was calculated using the ##Z^2## approximation so that should explain everything. As for the ##R_0## value I'm not entirely sure. I don't use the actual value of ##R_0## in my calculations although I could compute it.
I'm guessing the difference in ##R_0##(if I compute it) may be because the question only cares about the Coulomb term which isn't the entire truth.

Related to Binding energy, Coulomb energy

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the amount of energy required to separate an object into its individual components. In the context of atomic nuclei, it refers to the amount of energy needed to break apart the nucleus into its constituent protons and neutrons.

2. How is binding energy calculated?

The binding energy of a nucleus is calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass, and c is the speed of light. The difference in mass between the individual nucleons and the assembled nucleus is used to calculate the binding energy.

3. What is Coulomb energy?

Coulomb energy, also known as electrostatic energy, is the potential energy that results from the interaction between two charged particles. In the context of atomic nuclei, it refers to the energy associated with the repulsion between positively charged protons.

4. How does binding energy relate to nuclear stability?

The greater the binding energy of a nucleus, the more stable it is. This is because a higher binding energy means that it takes more energy to break apart the nucleus, making it less likely to undergo nuclear reactions or decay.

5. What is the difference between binding energy and Coulomb energy?

Binding energy and Coulomb energy are related but distinct concepts. Binding energy refers to the energy required to keep a nucleus together, while Coulomb energy refers to the energy associated with the repulsion between charged particles. Coulomb energy is a component of binding energy, as it contributes to the overall energy required to hold a nucleus together.