Binomial probability with TI-84 binomcdf function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of getting at least two 4s when a fair die is tossed 7 times. The solution involves using the TI-84's binomcdf function and the final probability is calculated to be 0.330. The correctness of the calculation is confirmed.
battery88

Homework Statement

If a fair die is tossed 7 times what is the probability of at least two 4s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this I used my TI-84's binomcdf function. I just want to see it I'm doing it correctly.
p(2<=x<=7) = 1 - p(0<=x<=1) = 1 - binomcdf(7,1/6,1) = 0.330

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
battery88 said:

Homework Statement

If a fair die is tossed 7 times what is the probability of at least two 4s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this I used my TI-84's binomcdf function. I just want to see it I'm doing it correctly.
p(2<=x<=7) = 1 - p(0<=x<=1) = 1 - binomcdf(7,1/6,1) = 0.330

Thanks.

I don't have a TI-84, but if 'binomcdf' is what I think it is, your calculation is OK. Your answer is correct, too.

Last edited:
Great. Thanks!

Related to Binomial probability with TI-84 binomcdf function

1. How do I use the binomcdf function on my TI-84 calculator?

To use the binomcdf function on your TI-84 calculator, first press the "2nd" button, followed by the "VARS" button. Then select "DISTR" and choose option "0:binomcdf(". Next, enter the number of trials (n), probability of success (p), and the number of successes (x) separated by commas. Press "Enter" to calculate the binomial probability.

2. What does the binomcdf function calculate?

The binomcdf function calculates the cumulative probability of obtaining a certain number of successes (x) in a fixed number of trials (n) with a given probability of success (p). It calculates the sum of the probabilities of getting 0, 1, 2, ..., x successes.

3. Can I use the binomcdf function for non-integer values of x?

No, the binomcdf function only works for integer values of x. If you need to calculate the probability of obtaining a non-integer number of successes, you can use the binompdf function or approximate the probability using the binomcdf function with a range of values for x.

4. How do I interpret the result of the binomcdf function?

The result of the binomcdf function is a decimal number between 0 and 1. This represents the cumulative probability of obtaining x or fewer successes in n trials with a probability of success p. For example, if the result is 0.8, it means that there is an 80% chance of getting x or fewer successes.

5. Can I use the binomcdf function to calculate the probability of a range of values for x?

Yes, you can use the binomcdf function to calculate the probability of a range of values for x by subtracting the result for the lower value from the result for the higher value. For example, to calculate the probability of getting between 3 and 6 successes, you can use the binomcdf function with x=6 and x=2, and then subtract the result for x=2 from the result for x=6.