Binomial Theorem and Electric Field question

In summary: I replaced r+a with -a and it worked.In summary, the student is having trouble solving for part b of the homework statement. They attempted to use the binomial theorem, but didn't explain how it was relevant. They were then given the answer by the professor and were unable to correctly simplify it.
doubleUTF

Homework Statement

I'm having a lot of trouble solving for part b as I am unable to correctly apply the binomial theorem to this approximation. The problem is shown below:

Three point charges are distributed: a positive charge +2Q in the center, and a pair of negative charges -Q, a distance a to its left and right.

You want to find the electric field E at point P, a distance r to the right of the positive charge.

a) Write an exact expression for the x-component of E at point P (in terms of Q,r,a, etc.

b) Using the binomial theorem, write a simpler approximation to the expression you gave in part b, which is valid when r>>a

Homework Equations

Binomial theorem: (1+x)^n=1+nx+n(n-1)x^2/2!+...

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I added the vector sum of all forces and got 1/(4pi epsilon knot)(-Q/(r+a)^2+(2Q)/r^2+(Q)/(r-a)^2

b) The professor gave out the answer for this part which is 6kQa^2/r^4, but we need to show how we got this. I go as far as KQ(2-(a-2a/r)-(1+2a/r))r^2, but I don't know how to proceed further. I wish I knew how to type out the work more neatly so you can see clearly. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how the binomial theorem is relevant here. What you need to know is the sum of a geometric series:

[tex]1+z+z^2+z^3+\dots=\frac{1}{1-z}[/tex]

This holds for for all complex z with |z|<1. Proof:

[tex]1+z+z^2+\dots+z^n=\frac{(1-z)(1+z+z^2+\dots+z^n)}{1-z}=\frac{1-z^{n+1}}{1-z}[/tex]

Now take the limit [itex]n\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

To solve b), I suggest you take -Q/r^2 outside the parentheses. Use the formula for the sum of a geometric series with z=a/r and z=-a/r. Keep terms up to second order and ignore higher order terms.

Last edited:
Not to blow off your response, but our professor specifically asked that we utilized the binomial theorem to write a simpler approximation. Plus we were never taught to apply geometric series to this problem. This is what I did:[tex]
K = \frac{1}{{4 \pi \varepsilon_0}
[/tex]

from part (a), [tex] (E_{net})_x = KQ (\frac{2}{r^2} - \frac{1}{(r+a)^2} -\frac{1}{(r-a)^2}) \vec{i} [/tex]

and [tex] \frac{1}{(r-a)^{2}} = (r-a)^{-2} = r^-2[1-\frac{a}{r}]^-2 [/tex]
& [tex] \frac{1}{(r+a)^2} = r^-2 [1+\frac{a}{r}]^-2 [/tex]

So when r>>a, [tex] (E_{net})_x=KQ (\frac{2}{r^2} - \frac{1}{(r+a)^2} - \frac{1}{(r-a)^2}) \vec{i}=\? = \frac{6KQa^2}{r^4}
[/tex]
Sorry I'm having trouble with this LaTeX code, but hopefully you can make out what I did.
I'm lost in the part where I placed the question marks.

Last edited:
OK, its not that bad. In your expression for the electric field, [tex]kq(-1/r^2+ (r+a)^{-2} -(r+2a)^{-2}, ((r+1)-1)^{-2}[/tex]. Here, expand [tex](r+a)^{-2}, (r+2a)^{-2}[/tex] binomially, giving you [tex]1-2ra +(higher terms) +1-ra +higher terms+1-2(r-1)[/tex]. Ignoring the higher terms of the expansion as r<<a, you get [tex]1-3ra-2r[/tex]. Dunno how you got that answer though.

I find it very hard to believe that the binomial theorem can have any relevance here. You have already found that

[tex]E=-\frac{KQ}{r^2}\big(\big(\frac{1}{1-z}\big)^2-2+\big(\frac{1}{1+z}\big)^2\big)[/tex]

where [itex]z=a/r[/itex]. It's easy to simplify this to the answer you want if you just do what I suggested before.

Edit: I got the opposite sign in the final answer.

Last edited:

FAQ: Binomial Theorem and Electric Field question

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that allows for the expansion of a binomial (an expression with two terms) to a given power. It is typically written as (a + b)^n, where a and b are the two terms and n is the power.

2. How is the binomial theorem related to electric fields?

In physics, the binomial theorem is used to calculate the electric field of a point charge at a given distance. This involves using the equation E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a physical vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charge experiences in an electric field. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

4. How is the electric field calculated for a system of multiple point charges?

The electric field for a system of multiple point charges can be calculated by first finding the individual electric fields for each point charge using the equation E = kq/r^2, and then using vector addition to sum up all the individual electric fields into one overall electric field.

5. Can the binomial theorem be applied to other situations besides electric fields?

Yes, the binomial theorem has many applications in mathematics and physics, including in probability, statistics, and even quantum mechanics. It is a powerful tool for simplifying complex expressions and solving various problems.

Back