Biochemist? anyone who knows about blood?

In summary, you are trying to study optics of whole blood by doing Raman spectroscopy and chemometric analysis. You need a sample with some turbidity so that you can build a model for quantification.
evidenso
Hello
I have some 40 doses of frozen blood plasma from different people, I have to study the optics of wholeblood. Is it possible to just mix it with (lets say 40%) of fresh red blood cells. Will this do any harm the the biochemistry?

In that case
What if I'll do it by my self? just letting the blood cells fall to the bottom of the vial at separate it. Will this change ex. proteins in the plasma?

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know what it might do to optics, but in order to obtain plasma, more than just the red cells are removed. But, also, the blood is treated with additives when it is separated to prevent other parts of the plasma matrix from forming clots with the red cells (if the blood is allowed to clot, then what's left is serum, not plasma).

Though, you'd probably have to add some sort of anticoagulant to work with whole blood too, otherwise it'll start coagulating in the vial within minutes.

Moonbear said:
I don't know what it might do to optics, but in order to obtain plasma, more than just the red cells are removed. But, also, the blood is treated with additives when it is separated to prevent other parts of the plasma matrix from forming clots with the red cells (if the blood is allowed to clot, then what's left is serum, not plasma).

Though, you'd probably have to add some sort of anticoagulant to work with whole blood too, otherwise it'll start coagulating in the vial within minutes.

I know that blood contains more than just plasma and red bloodcells., but only need to mix red blood cells and plasma. does this work with a anticoalating substrat or is the blood doing seveere chemistry when its done

evidenso said:
Hello
I have some 40 doses of frozen blood plasma from different people, I have to study the optics of wholeblood. Is it possible to just mix it with (lets say 40%) of fresh red blood cells. Will this do any harm the the biochemistry?

In that case
What if I'll do it by my self? just letting the blood cells fall to the bottom of the vial at separate it. Will this change ex. proteins in the plasma?

Can you provide more detail on "study the opitcs of whole blood"? To what end? What information are you trying to extract? What method are you using?

Andy Resnick said:
Can you provide more detail on "study the opitcs of whole blood"? To what end? What information are you trying to extract? What method are you using?

well i am doing Raman spectroscopy and chemometric in a quantitative investigation of a protein. We will try to do it non invasive, but first we will build a model for quantification in whole blood. therefor its critical that my plasma sample has some turbidity like whole blood. We have very little chemical og biological experience ;) only physics

Related to Biochemist? anyone who knows about blood?

1. What is biochemistry and what does a biochemist do?

Biochemistry is the study of chemical processes and substances that occur in living organisms. A biochemist is a scientist who specializes in this field and investigates the chemical composition and reactions of biological processes. They may work in a variety of industries, from pharmaceuticals to agriculture, to understand and improve living systems.

2. How is biochemistry related to blood?

Biochemistry plays a crucial role in understanding the components and functions of blood. Blood is composed of various proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates, which are all studied by biochemists. Biochemists also research the chemical reactions that occur in blood, such as the transport of oxygen and nutrients throughout the body.

3. What techniques do biochemists use to study blood?

Biochemists use a variety of techniques to study blood, including chromatography, electrophoresis, and spectroscopy. These methods allow them to separate and analyze the different components of blood and understand their chemical properties and functions.

4. How does biochemistry contribute to our understanding of diseases related to blood?

Biochemists play a crucial role in understanding and finding treatments for diseases related to blood, such as anemia, hemophilia, and sickle cell disease. They study the biochemical processes that lead to these conditions and develop therapies to target and treat them.

5. Are there any ethical considerations in biochemistry research related to blood?

Yes, there are ethical considerations in biochemistry research related to blood, as with any field of study involving human subjects. Biochemists must adhere to ethical guidelines and obtain informed consent from participants when conducting research involving blood samples. They also have a responsibility to use their findings ethically and responsibly, keeping in mind the potential impact on individuals and society.