Biochemistry Undergrad to Bioengineering PHD

In summary, the speaker has a BS in Biochemistry and initially considered medical school but lost interest due to the MCAT. They are now interested in biomedical engineering and have done research in related fields, but are unsure if they will be accepted into a graduate program with a non-engineering background. They have a strong GPA and knowledge in relevant subjects, but do not want to take additional courses. However, they have been studying electronics and engineering on their own and have a strong interest in the field. The expert cautions that it may be difficult to convince graduate programs to accept them without an undergraduate engineering degree, but suggests exploring different programs that may consider their background for specific projects.
nzhu
Hey!
So I graduated with a BS in Biochemistry and I was originally considering medical school but after studying the horrible mcat for 3 years, I decided I had enough of that. Furthermore, I really lost interest in any aspect of patient work.
However what has always interested me since I was a kid was computers/engineering and my goal is still to cure diseases. I think biomedical engineering is the best path more me.

Only problem is, I'm not sure if grad schools would take me with a Biochemistry degree.
I have significant amounts of research during college and currently at NIH. But none of them are exactly engineering related they're all medical related. I did research in a sleep lab studying sleep apnea, then I researched in a neuroscience lab studying transcranial direct current stimulation, and then I researched in a lab modeling neurons with software, and finally I'm at NIH researching Rapamycin resistant cells and its application to the clinic.

My gpa was 3.91 and my courses are bio/chem/basic physics I/II courses and so on. My calculus is up to Calc 2. I took a physical chemistry course and I got like 7 credits from high school for computer science (a years worth of java)

I really would not like to go back to take more courses if not absolutely necessary due to monetary issues. Furthermore, I can learn these subjects much faster on my own.

While in college and up to now, I've been continually studying electronics and engineering on my own for fun. I've been programming since I was 8 so that's no problem either. In the end, all of me says I'm a medical-engineer and I really want to just jump into the field if I can.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll have a tough time convincing a graduate admissions committee in biomedical engineering to take you without an undergraduate degree in one of the engineering disciplines. Having taken first year physics won't cut it. Whether you can learn the material on your own or not is beside the point. You need evidence that you have learned it and something to show how well you have learned it in relation to your peers.

That said, BME is a very broad and interdisciplinary field, so you may want to look around. There may be some places that do admit people with your background for specific projects.

Related to Biochemistry Undergrad to Bioengineering PHD

1. What is the difference between biochemistry and bioengineering?

Biochemistry is the study of chemical processes within living organisms, while bioengineering involves the application of engineering principles to biological systems.

2. Can I pursue a bioengineering PhD with an undergraduate degree in biochemistry?

Yes, many universities offer bioengineering PhD programs that accept students with a background in biochemistry. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, physics, and engineering principles.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful transition from biochemistry undergrad to bioengineering PhD?

Some important skills to have include a strong understanding of biology and chemistry, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. It is also helpful to have experience with computer programming and laboratory research.

4. What career opportunities are available with a biochemistry undergrad and bioengineering PhD?

With this combination of degrees, you could pursue a career in fields such as biomedical engineering, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, or medical research. You could also work in academia as a professor or researcher.

5. Is it necessary to have a biochemistry undergrad degree to pursue a bioengineering PhD?

No, it is not necessary to have a biochemistry undergrad degree to pursue a bioengineering PhD. Many programs accept students from a variety of backgrounds, as long as they have the necessary prerequisite courses and skills.