Biological Physics (BioPhysics) + Kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of kinematics in biophysics, particularly in molecular biophysics. There is no consensus on the definition of biophysics, but it generally involves the application of physical principles to biological systems. While kinematics may not be as relevant at the molecular level, a strong grasp of concepts from a first-year physics course is useful for tools such as optical tweezers. More advanced topics and concepts, such as statistical mechanics and fluid mechanics, are prevalent in studying the physical aspects of biological systems. It is recommended to consult introductory biophysics texts such as "Elementary Biophysics" and "Molecular Driving Forces" for further understanding.
BioCore
Hey everyone,

I was interested in knowing what the application if it is large kinematics plays in Biophysics? Particularly or actually mostly Molecular Biophysics. Is it used largely by Biophysicists or are more advanced topics and concepts the prevalent thought in this field?

I primarily ask because I am currently planning on studying Biotechnology, which has no particular course in Biophysics as a requirement. I would love to though study some of the concepts from Biophysics and so I am currently doing a first year Calculus based Physics course. Now I wanted to know if I should spend a lot of time on the concepts or move on since my Professor is moving on to Forces next lecture.

I know that I have to follow the Professor which I will, but I wanted to see if I need a strong grasp in kinematics for understanding in Biophysics?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
kinematics is used a lot in understanding skeletal muscle motion and balance (walking). At the molecular level, I have not seen much kinematics.

"Biophysics" means different things to different people. Some people consider protein folding to be biophysics. Others consider biophysics to be a general application of physical principles to model biological systems.

There does not appear to be an ideal introductory biophysics text; I like "Elementary Biophysics", by Srivastava and "Molecular Driving Forces" by Dill and Bromberg.

To some (including me partially), biophysics involves the application of tools from physics to solve biological problems. The use of many of these tools involves knowing important concepts from a 1st year physics course. For example, optical tweezers are used in molecular biophysics to pull on proteins in order to study their motion, folding, and other aspects of their function. Here a knowledge of forces, tension, torque, etc. are useful. Furthermore, for both optical tweezers and other techniques using lasers (e.g. microscopy, various fluorescence-based tools), a knowledge of E&M and optics is useful.

Biophysics also involves studying the physical aspects of biological systems. Here, more advanced topics in math/physics are involved, including statistical mechanics, fluid mechanics, and nonlinear systems of differential equations. Kinematics, as it is taught in 1st year physics, isn't terribly useful in molecular biophysics, because different forces dominate on the molecular scale. Whereas 1st year physics courses tend to ignore the effects of friction and viscosity, viscous forces dominate on the molecular regime. An interesting discussion of this can be found in the paper "Life at Low Reynolds Number" by Ed Purcell (physics forums isn't letting me post a link, so type the title into google to find the article, or use the following doi: 10.1119/1.10903).

FAQ: Biological Physics (BioPhysics) + Kinematics

1. What is Biological Physics (BioPhysics)?

Biological Physics, also known as BioPhysics, is a field of science that combines principles of physics and biology to study various biological processes and systems. It aims to understand how physical laws and principles apply to living organisms, from the molecular level to the organismal level.

2. How is Kinematics related to Biological Physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. In Biological Physics, kinematics is used to study the movement and dynamics of living organisms, such as the motion of cells, tissues, or organisms in response to external stimuli or internal processes.

3. What are some examples of research topics in Biological Physics?

Some examples of research topics in Biological Physics include studying the mechanics of cell division, investigating the behavior of proteins and enzymes, analyzing the movement of microorganisms, and understanding the dynamics of biological systems such as the cardiovascular system.

4. What techniques are commonly used in Biological Physics research?

Biological Physics researchers use a combination of experimental and theoretical techniques. These can include imaging techniques such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and computational simulations to study the structure and function of biological systems. They also use mathematical models and statistical analysis to understand the underlying physical principles governing biological processes.

5. How does studying Biological Physics contribute to our understanding of living organisms?

Studying Biological Physics allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental physical principles that govern living organisms. It helps us explain and predict complex biological processes and systems, leading to advancements in areas such as medicine, biotechnology, and genetics. It also allows us to develop new technologies and techniques to further our understanding and improve our ability to manipulate and control biological systems.