Biology Differential Equations/Dimensional Analysis

In summary, the chemostat operates in a similar way to a simplified version of the bacterial growth curve. The system is kept at a fixed concentration of nutrients, and natural multiplication of bacteria causes the concentration to increase. The dimensions of the constants in the equations are determined by dimensional analysis.
ceejay2000
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7596/mbiolq1.jpg

Hi PF, any help with parts a, b and c would be most appreciated. I haven't had a go at these simply because I don't know where to start. There are parts d) etc. onwards that I have done already; it seems to be the simple stuff I struggle with!
The question comes from a past paper for an exam I am revising for and the exam is on Wednesday so I'm desperate! Ha ha, thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) A chemostat is a tank with liquid culture medium kept at a fixed volume. The chemostat receives a constant influx of nutrients at a fixed flow rate, and medium is siphoned off at the same flow rate (in order to maintain constant volume). A fixed inoculum of bacteria is introduced at the start of the process, and only natural multiplication increases their numbers.

Given this info, can you decipher the coupled differential equations? Think of what processes cause the bacterial concentration to respectively increase and decrease. You may assume that death of bacteria is not a factor here (as the tank is kept adequately supplied by nutrients at all times). Now think of what processes cause the nutrient concentration to respectively increase and decrease.

b) The dimensional analysis is easy. The LHS of both equations has the dimensions of concentration/time. Every individual term on the RHS (separated by addition or subtraction) has the same dimension. Multiplying and dividing dimensions works just like in algebra. Can you now work out the dimensions of those constants? Which one (only one) is dimensionless?

c) This is a bit more tricky. Start by substituting [itex]x = kb, y = pn[/itex] and [itex]\tau = qt[/itex] where [itex]k, p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] are constants into the reduced set of differential equations (in [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]). Work through the calculus (you'll need to use Chain Rule to handle the time parameter [itex]\tau[/itex]) and get the equations into a form comparable with the original set (in [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex]). Then compare coefficients to deduce the values of [itex]k, p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex].

You should find [itex]\mathbb{D} = \frac{\phi{r}}{\gamma^2}[/itex]. Use this to check your final answer.

That was really helpful; thanks for your time!

FAQ: Biology Differential Equations/Dimensional Analysis

1. What are differential equations in biology?

Differential equations in biology are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between different variables in biological systems. They are used to model and study the behavior of biological processes, such as population growth, enzyme kinetics, and gene expression.

2. How are differential equations used in biology?

Differential equations are used in biology to understand and predict the behavior of complex biological systems. They can help researchers make predictions about population dynamics, drug interactions, and disease progression. They are also used to analyze experimental data and validate biological models.

3. What is dimensional analysis in biology?

Dimensional analysis in biology is a method of analyzing biological systems by considering the physical dimensions and units of different variables. This approach can help identify relationships between different variables and can be used to simplify complex biological models.

4. How is dimensional analysis used in biology?

Dimensional analysis is used in biology to help researchers understand how different variables in a biological system interact with each other. It can also be used to identify key variables that have the greatest impact on the system. Dimensional analysis is also used to check the validity of biological models and to make predictions about biological processes.

5. What are some real-world applications of biology differential equations and dimensional analysis?

Biology differential equations and dimensional analysis have numerous real-world applications, including predicting population growth and extinction, modeling the spread of diseases, understanding enzyme kinetics, and studying gene expression. They are also used in the development of new drugs and treatments for diseases and in the design of experiments to test biological hypotheses.