Biology: Relatedness Between Nephew & Uncle

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, the relatedness between a nephew and his uncle is 1/4. This is the probability that they will share a gene, regardless of which allele is being considered. The filtering process that occurs from the nephew's mother to the nephew does not affect this probability.
nobahar
Hello.
This has been bugging me for a while. If I use an example to demonstrate:
A nephew and his uncle and the average relatedness between them.
If for some trait, say eye colour, the grandmother of the nephew carries one for Blue (B), and one for Green (G), and the grandfather of the nephew carries one for Orange (O) and one for Azure (A). No one gene is more likely than any other, so each has a 1/4 probability. The probability of the uncle inheriting B, G, O or A is 1/2. And thus the probability that they both have the same gene is 4(1/4 x 1/2)= 4/8 = 19/2. But this will make up 1/2 of the complete set of genes for the nephew. 1/2 of 1/2 (i.e. 1/4) of the complete set that the nephew has will be shared with the uncle, on average.

I know that the relatedness is in fact 1/4. But is my reasoning correct? I'm assuming the 'filtering process' that occurs from the nephew's mother to the nephew - there are four possibilities, but B and G compete for a place in the nephew's mother and O and A do - has no influence on the probabilities, is this correct. It must be, but it almost seems as if it should be considered...

Thanks in advance.
Nobahar.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is basically correct. Here's how I think of it. The relatedness is the probability that the two individuals will share a gene. Now, let's assume that the uncle inherited the blue allele. What is the problem that the nephew also has the blue allele? For this to occur, the uncle's sibling/nephew's parent must have inherited the blue allele, which occurs with probability of 1/2. The nephew must also have inherited the blue allele from the parent, also occurring with a probability of 1/2. Thus the overall probability that the two individuals share this allele is 1/4. This occurs no matter what allele you look at (e.g. if you assume the uncle inherited the green allele, the math is exactly the same).

Thanks yggdrasil. You reasoning is certainly a lot more compact and efficient than mine! But I am glad to know that my reasoning is sound nonetheless.

Related to Biology: Relatedness Between Nephew & Uncle

1. What is the biological relationship between a nephew and an uncle?

The biological relationship between a nephew and an uncle is that they are related through a common ancestor. The uncle is the brother of the nephew's parent, making them members of the same family tree.

2. Are nephews and uncles considered immediate family?

Yes, nephews and uncles are considered immediate family as they are part of the same extended family unit. They share a close biological and emotional bond and are often involved in each other's lives.

3. Is there a genetic similarity between nephews and uncles?

Yes, nephews and uncles share approximately 25% of their genetic material. This is because they both have one common parent, making them genetically related but not as closely as siblings or parent-child relationships.

4. Can nephews and uncles have different blood types?

Yes, nephews and uncles can have different blood types. This is because blood type is determined by genetics from both parents, and nephews and uncles do not share both parents. However, there is still a genetic connection between them.

5. How is the relatedness between nephews and uncles important in biology?

The relatedness between nephews and uncles is important in biology as it helps us understand the patterns of inheritance and genetic relationships within a family. It also plays a role in the study of genetics and inheritance, as nephews and uncles may share certain genetic traits and characteristics due to their common ancestry.