Biomedical Engineering BS Vs. Physics BS

In summary, the individual is currently a freshman in Biological Engineering but is questioning their choice of major as they have a passion for physics. They are considering going to graduate school and are interested in areas such as computational neuroscience and biomedical engineering. They are unsure if their BS in physics would qualify them for graduate programs in engineering, and are seeking advice on different physics-heavy areas in biomedical engineering. They also have questions about the differences between Biophysics and Biomedical engineering and are considering changing their major to physics.
jbrussell93
I'm currently a freshman in Biological engineering and questioning my choice of major. At this point, I am about 99.9% sure that I want to go to graduate school. I am currently doing research in computational neuroscience/modeling and I very much enjoy it. The problem is that I feel my true passion is physics. I didn't have Calculus in high school and was therefore hesitant to jump into the physics major, and that is why I chose engineering. Interestingly, it turns out that I am much more interested in math than I had previously thought. Since the intense math behind physics was the determining factor that made me choose engineering, I am having second thoughts. I have also always loved biology and would like to do something relating biology and physics (possibly biomedical optics, biophotonics, etc). Would I be able to go to graduate school for biomedical/electrical engineering with a BS in physics if I carefully choose engineering electives? I feel as though I will always regret not immersing myself in as much physics as possible as an undergraduate... Has anyone gone the BS physics PhD engineering route or vice versa? Also, what are some other physics heavy biomedical engineering emphasis areas? What are some differences between Biophysics and Biomedical engineering?

Sorry for so many questions...

Thank you for your responses in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know at least one person who did a bachelor's degree in physics and then went for a master's in BME, so that's at least possible.

One thing to be particularly aware of though, is prerequisits. A biomedical engineering undergraduate degree is one of those degrees that can mean different things in different places and may notqualify you for BME graduate school in another institution.

It sounds like you have at least an idea of the kind of graduate program you're interested in. Why don't you try looking a few of of those programs up and see if your current path, or your proposed physics path will qualify you to get into them?

FAQ: Biomedical Engineering BS Vs. Physics BS

What is the difference between a Biomedical Engineering BS and a Physics BS?

A Biomedical Engineering BS focuses on the application of engineering principles to solve problems in medicine and healthcare. This includes areas such as medical imaging, prosthetics, and tissue engineering. A Physics BS, on the other hand, focuses on the fundamental principles of physics and their applications in various fields such as energy, materials, and astrophysics.

Which degree is more math-intensive, Biomedical Engineering BS or Physics BS?

Both degrees require a strong foundation in mathematics. However, a Physics BS typically requires more advanced math courses such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Biomedical Engineering BS programs may also have a strong math component, but they often focus more on applied mathematics and computer modeling.

What career opportunities are available with a Biomedical Engineering BS and a Physics BS?

Graduates with a Biomedical Engineering BS can pursue careers in medical device companies, hospitals, research institutions, and government agencies. They may work as biomedical engineers, medical device designers, or research scientists. Physics BS graduates can also work in a variety of fields, including research labs, government agencies, and industries such as aerospace, defense, and energy.

Which degree is more suitable for those interested in pursuing medical school?

Both degrees can be suitable for those interested in medical school. However, a Biomedical Engineering BS may provide a more direct path as it covers topics and skills relevant to medicine, such as anatomy, physiology, and bioinstrumentation. A Physics BS can also be beneficial as it provides a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are essential for medical school.

Can a Biomedical Engineering BS or a Physics BS be used as a stepping stone to pursue a graduate degree?

Yes, both degrees can be used as a stepping stone to pursue a graduate degree. A Biomedical Engineering BS can lead to a Master's or PhD in Biomedical Engineering, while a Physics BS can lead to a graduate degree in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, or medical physics. Both degrees provide a strong foundation for further studies in related fields.