Biot and Savart Integral using Vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a Biot and Savart Integral using Vectors, specifically for an L-shaped current carrying conductor with one leg in the positive x-direction and one leg in the positive y-direction. The point P is located at a distance of L/2 above the horizontal segment and L/2 to the right of the vertical segment. The instructor provides the answer using Vectors and the Biot-Savart Law, but the person is unsure how to handle the integration. They suggest using two line integrals with different direction vectors and integrating from L to 0 for the horizontal part and 0 to L for the vertical part. The given answer is (μ0 / 4π) * (I *
eliw00d
How would I go about setting up a Biot and Savart Integral using Vectors?

Here is an exercise we had in class:
An L-shaped current carrying conductor has its elbow on the origin with one leg of length L points in the positive x-direction and one leg of length L points in the positive y-direction. The current I is flowing toward the negative x-direction and then toward the positive y-direction. The point P is located at a distance of L/2 above the horizontal segment and L/2 to the right of the vertical segment.

Use the Biot-Savart Law to find a general formula for the magnetic field at point P in terms of μ0, I and L.

I tried to set it up using Vectors, and figured dl to be <-L,L> and r to be <½L, -½L>. After the cross product, I am not sure how to handle the integration, since r can vary. Would it be a double integral, or am I overthinking it?

The instructor gave me the answer, and I have been trying to figure out a way to use Vectors to solve it, since I am fairly comfortable with them. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a double integral. The sum of two line integrals.

Alright, so I split it up into two parts, r1 and r2.

Both have a magnitude of L / sqrt(2).
r1 has a direction vector of <√2 / 2, √2 / 2, 0>,
r2 has a direction vector of <√2 / 2, -√2 / 2, 0>.

Then, dl1 is <-L, 0, 0> and dl2 is <0, L, 0>.

Both cross products are L * (√2 / 2) in (-k) direction.

Do I integrate from L to 0 for the horizontal part, and 0 to L for the vertical part?

The answer he supplied is (μ0 / 4π) * (I * (√2 / L)) in (-k) direction, but I am not getting the same answer.

Related to Biot and Savart Integral using Vectors

1. What is the Biot and Savart integral using vectors?

The Biot and Savart integral using vectors is a mathematical formula used to calculate the magnetic field at a specific point in space due to a current-carrying wire. It takes into account the contributions of infinitesimal current elements along the wire to determine the overall magnetic field.

2. How is the Biot and Savart integral derived?

The Biot and Savart integral is derived from Ampere's law, which states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current passing through the loop. By breaking down the current-carrying wire into infinitesimal elements and summing their contributions, the Biot and Savart integral is obtained.

3. What are the applications of the Biot and Savart integral using vectors?

The Biot and Savart integral using vectors is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and astrophysics. It is particularly useful in calculating the magnetic field produced by complex current configurations, such as solenoids and current loops.

4. How does the Biot and Savart integral differ from the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot and Savart integral is a mathematical representation of the Biot-Savart law, which is an experimental observation that describes the relationship between a steady current and its resulting magnetic field. While the Biot-Savart law only applies to simple current configurations, the Biot and Savart integral can be used for more complex cases.

5. What are the limitations of the Biot and Savart integral using vectors?

The Biot and Savart integral using vectors assumes that the current-carrying wire is infinitely thin and straight, and that the magnetic field is calculated at a point far away from the wire. These assumptions may not hold true in real-world situations, leading to inaccuracies in the calculated magnetic field. Additionally, the integral may become mathematically complex for certain current configurations, making it difficult to solve analytically.