Biot-Savart Law (infinite filament)

So, in summary, the magnetic field intensity at point P is given by the Biot-Savart Law as dH = (I)(dx)(hat{y}-2 + hat{z}3) / 4pi[(-1-x)^2 + 3^2 + 2^2]^3/2. However, solving for the next step requires integration which can be complicated.
gsan
An infinite current filament carries a current of 3A and lies along the x-axis. Using Biot-Savart Law, find the magnectic field intensity in cartesian coordinates at a point P(-1,3,2).

dH = I vec{dl} x hat{R} / 4piR^2

let substitude hat{R} with vec{R} / R

then dH = I vec{dl} x vec{R} / 4piR^3

vec{R} = hat{x}(-1-x) + hat{y}3 + hat{z}2 and vec{dl} = hat{x}dx

vec{dl} x vec{R} =
|hat{x} hat{y} hat{z}|
| 1 0 0 |
| (-1-x) 3 2 |

=[hat{y}-2 + hat{z}3] dx

dH = (I)(dx)(hat{y}-2 + hat{z}3) / 4piR^3

magnitude of R = sqrt [(-1-x)^2 + 3^2 + 2^2]

dH = (I)(dx)(hat{y}-2 + hat{z}3) / 4pi[(-1-x)^2 + 3^2 + 2^2]^3/2

how do I solve for the next step? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should integrate each component of the field.

I don't know how to integral since it is very complicated.

Related to Biot-Savart Law (infinite filament)

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current flowing through an infinitely long, straight wire (filament).

2. How is the Biot-Savart Law expressed mathematically?

The Biot-Savart Law is expressed as B = (μ₀/4π) * I * (sinθ/r²), where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, θ is the angle between the current and the point of observation, and r is the distance between the current and the point of observation.

3. What is the significance of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is significant because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space due to a steady current, without the need for complex integrations. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators.

4. Can the Biot-Savart Law be applied to finite filaments?

Yes, the Biot-Savart Law can be applied to finite filaments by breaking them down into smaller, infinitesimal segments and summing up the contributions from each segment using integration.

5. How does the Biot-Savart Law relate to Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a generalization of the Biot-Savart Law, which applies to any current-carrying wire or surface, not just infinitely long, straight filaments. Ampere's Law states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop. The Biot-Savart Law can be derived from Ampere's Law for the special case of an infinitely long, straight wire.