Biphysics Homework: Wrong Answer of P2/P1=R1/R2?

• Thread starter iram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the formula to use is ##\frac{p_2}{p_1}=(\frac{r_1}{r_2})^2## for calculating over-pressure drops. The incorrect formula that was initially used was ##\frac{p_2}{p_1}=(\frac{r_1}{r_2})^3##, but after researching online, it was discovered that the correct formula is the one mentioned above. The units used for this calculation are not specified, but unit conversion factors may be needed.
iram
Homework Statement
Introduction to Biophysics homework
Relevant Equations
A pistol shrimp creates short, strong pressure waves by clicking its enlarged claw, and uses these blasts to stun small fish. The click is measured to produce a pressure wave with an amplitude of 80 kPa at the distance of 4cm from the claw. An explosion can be considered to by potentially fatal for humans when the pressure amplitude is approximately 20 Psi. At what distance from the shrimp is the click of the claw fatal for a diver? What is the total power of the click?
Is it done by using the formula p2/p1= r1/r2? I got answer 2.3 cm but it comes out it is wrong. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units? What are the unit conversion factors? Over-pressure drops off with what function of distance?

iram said:
the formula p2/p1= r1/r2?
That does not look right to me. I would have guessed ##\frac{p_2}{p_1}=(\frac{r_1}{r_2})^2##, but from what I read online it is even ##\frac{p_2}{p_1}=(\frac{r_1}{r_2})^3## for a shock wave.

Yes, I think I get it now. The formula really doesn't look correct. I believe the one you mentioned above is the right one to use. Thank you :)

Related to Biphysics Homework: Wrong Answer of P2/P1=R1/R2?

What is biphysics homework?

Biphysics homework is a type of homework assignment that involves the application of principles from both biology and physics. It may focus on topics such as biomechanics, biophysics, or biophotonics.

What is the equation P2/P1=R1/R2 used for?

The equation P2/P1=R1/R2 is used to calculate the ratio of two different pressures. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate pressure differentials or to determine the relationship between two different pressure values.

What does it mean if the answer to P2/P1=R1/R2 is wrong?

If the answer to P2/P1=R1/R2 is wrong, it means that there was an error in the calculation or that the input values were incorrect. It is important to double check the calculations and ensure that the correct values are being used in the equation.

How can I check if my answer to P2/P1=R1/R2 is correct?

To check if your answer to P2/P1=R1/R2 is correct, you can plug in the values into the equation and perform the calculation. You can also compare your answer to the expected answer or check with a teacher or tutor for confirmation.

What are some common mistakes when solving P2/P1=R1/R2?

Some common mistakes when solving P2/P1=R1/R2 include using the incorrect units, using the wrong formula, or making a calculation error. It is important to carefully check all inputs and calculations to avoid these mistakes.