Black body radiation experiment

Also, make sure you are using the correct units for all constants in the formula. In summary, the mistake is in substituting the values in the incorrect units for Planck's formula. Make sure all values are in meters for wavelength and Kelvin for temperature, and use the correct units for all constants in the formula.
nick7

Homework Statement

im at the point where i ve to plot graphs of intensity versus wavelenght of a tungsten lamp for different temperatures.i ve calculated corectly the temperature and the wavelenghts..after that i took Planck s formula to find the corresponding intensity for each wavelenght and ploted the graph which is wrong!for a different temperature and same wavelenghts i repeated the proccedure by only changing T in the below formula

Homework Equations

p=8πhc/λ^5(exp(hc/λkT)-1) :planck s formula i used,,where is my mistake?for λ i substituded e.g 412*10^(-9)m and so on,and T in kelvin e.g 2978 k

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The mistake is in substituting the values. Planck's formula needs to be in terms of wavelength and temperature, so you need to substitute in the wavelength and temperature in the appropriate units. The values should be in meters for wavelength and Kelvin for temperature.

Related to Black body radiation experiment

What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect black body, which is an object that absorbs all of the radiation that falls on it. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to explain the behavior of objects at high temperatures.

What is the black body radiation experiment?

The black body radiation experiment is a laboratory experiment designed to study the emission of radiation from a black body at different temperatures. This experiment involves heating a black body, typically a cavity with a small hole, and measuring the amount and wavelength of radiation emitted at different temperatures.

What is the significance of the black body radiation experiment?

The black body radiation experiment was crucial in the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic radiation. It provided evidence for the existence of discrete energy levels in atoms and helped to explain the phenomenon of thermal radiation.

What are the applications of the black body radiation experiment?

The black body radiation experiment has many practical applications, including the design of thermal imaging devices and the development of more efficient light sources. It is also used in astrophysics to study the properties of stars and other celestial bodies.

What are the limitations of the black body radiation experiment?

The black body radiation experiment is limited by the assumptions made about the black body, such as its perfect absorption and emission of radiation. In reality, no object can perfectly absorb or emit radiation, so the results of the experiment may not accurately reflect real-world conditions. Additionally, the experiment does not take into account the effects of other factors, such as the presence of other materials or the shape of the black body, which can affect the emission of radiation.