Black Holes & Infinity(Singularities)

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of matter as it approaches a black hole and crosses the event horizon. It is clarified that matter cannot reach the speed of light, but can only approach it. The escape velocity inside the event horizon is undefined, and the concept of a singularity is explained as a mathematical artifact. The conversation also touches on the concept of infinity in relation to black holes.
spacecadet11
Hello. I would like to know. Does matter when heading towards a black hole then crossing the
event horizon threshold reach the speed of light? I am guessing no. It simply crosses the threshold
and at a finite velocity heads toward the center of the black hole.

The escape velocity of a black hole I believe is something greater than the speed of light. Has anyone actually calculated what that number is?

What is a Singularity? I only believe that matter simply reaches the center of a black hole.
Where in the world does infinity come from?

Thanks for any and all responses
Bye
SC

Astronomy news on Phys.org
spacecadet11 said:
Hello. I would like to know. Does matter when heading towards a black hole then crossing the
event horizon threshold reach the speed of light? I am guessing no. It simply crosses the threshold

I'm not sure on this one, but I think you have it right.

The escape velocity of a black hole I believe is something greater than the speed of light. Has anyone actually calculated what that number is?
Why do you think it is greater than c? I've never heard that before. The event horizon is DEFINED as being the place where the escape velocity is c.

What is a Singularity? I only believe that matter simply reaches the center of a black hole.

Singularity: a place where our math models give results that can't possibly be real, so we say that the model has broken down. We we abbreviate the aforgoing sentence by just saying "singularity"

No. Nothing with any mass can ever reach the speed of light; it can only approach it and suffer mass gain and shortening.

spacecadet11 said:
Reaches the speed of light relative to what? As far as the falling object is concerned, it's at rest while the black hole is moving towards it (have you ever tried skydiving and experienced the Earth "rushing towards you"?). A distant observer will find that the speed of the falling object relative to the observer approaches ##c## as the object disappears into the black hole. If the infalling object emits a flash of light in any direction at any time during its fall, the flash of light will move away from the object at ##c##.

There's no meaningful definition of escape velocity once inside the event horizon. No matter what direction you move, no matter how far and fast you move in that direction, your path will lead to the central singularity. Although...

The infinity is just an artifact of the math. For a more intuitive example, we could consider the classical formula for the force between a positive-charged and a negative-charged particle: ##F=kQ_1Q_2/r^2##. It works just fine as long as ##r##, the distance between the two particles, is not zero, but blows up to infinity if ##r## is zero. That's a singularity, but all it really tells us that you can't separate two charged particles by zero distance. A similar singularity appears if we set ##r=0## in the Schwarzschild equation that describes a black hole, and again it just tells us that that's not the right formula to use there.

IENTIST: Hello, thank you for your questions. When matter is heading towards a black hole, it does not necessarily reach the speed of light. The speed at which it crosses the event horizon depends on its initial velocity and the mass of the black hole. As for the escape velocity, it is indeed greater than the speed of light and is determined by the mass and radius of the black hole.

A singularity is a point of infinite density and zero volume at the center of a black hole. It is a theoretical concept that arises in the mathematical equations used to describe black holes. It is not fully understood and is currently a subject of ongoing research.

The concept of infinity in relation to black holes comes from the fact that the singularity at the center has infinite density and gravity. This means that anything that enters the black hole, including light, cannot escape and will be pulled towards the singularity, where the laws of physics as we know them break down. However, the exact nature of the singularity and what happens beyond it is still a mystery and is a topic of ongoing scientific study. I hope this helps answer your questions.

FAQ: Black Holes & Infinity(Singularities)

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This happens when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a singularity.

2. What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in space where the laws of physics break down and become infinite. In the case of black holes, it is the point of infinite density at the center of the black hole where all the mass is concentrated.

3. How do we know black holes exist?

We have observed the effects of black holes on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the motion of stars around them. We have also detected gravitational waves, which can be produced by the collision of two black holes.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has crossed the event horizon - the point of no return. However, some theories suggest that information may be able to escape through Hawking radiation.

5. Is it possible to travel through a black hole?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible to survive the extreme conditions inside a black hole. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible to travel through a black hole and emerge in a different part of the universe, but this is still just speculation.