Black Holes & Particle Collisions: Does Linear Momentum Transfer?

In summary, there is energy and angular momentum conservation in the general Schwarzschild metric, but it is unclear if there is also linear momentum conservation. The behavior of black holes is different from ordinary objects, so it is not known if shooting particles into a black hole can move it. A different metric would be needed to describe a black hole with enough particles shot into it to impart an impulse.
apamirRogue
Now I know that in the general Schwarzschild metric, there is energy and angular momentum conservation, but what I'm wondering is if there is any linear momentum conservation. Let's say a particle collides with a black hole. Does the energy of that particle go solely to the rest mass and temperature of the black hole, or does it impart a slight impulse to the black hole? In simpler terms, can you move a black hole by just shooting enough particles into it?

Physics news on Phys.org
A black hole is not an ordinary object, so many intuitions about how ordinary objects behave do not apply to black holes. In this particular case, I don't know that the question has been studied. The Schwarzschild metric describes a black hole whose state of motion does not change, so to speak; you would need a different metric to describe a hole which has enough particles shot into it to impart an impulse, if that's possible. I've never seen such a metric described, so I don't know if the answer to your question is known.

Likes apamirRogue

Related to Black Holes & Particle Collisions: Does Linear Momentum Transfer?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with a strong gravitational pull that is so powerful that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How do black holes affect nearby particles?

Black holes have a strong gravitational pull that can cause nearby particles to orbit around them or get pulled into them. They can also cause nearby particles to accelerate, gain energy, or collide with each other.

3. What is linear momentum transfer?

Linear momentum transfer is the transfer of momentum between two particles in a straight line. It is a measure of how much force is acting on a particle and how much it will accelerate.

4. How do particle collisions occur in the vicinity of black holes?

Particle collisions can occur in the vicinity of black holes when particles are accelerated by the black hole's strong gravitational pull and collide with each other. This can happen in the accretion disk around a black hole or in the jets of particles that are ejected from the black hole.

5. What can we learn from studying particle collisions near black holes?

Studying particle collisions near black holes can provide insight into the extreme conditions of space and help us understand the behavior of matter and energy under these conditions. It can also help us gain a better understanding of the formation and evolution of black holes, as well as the fundamental laws of physics.