Blackbody radiation of beam of light

In summary, a beam of light with a power of 100W is directed onto a blackbody with a mass of 2e-3 kg for a duration of 10e4 seconds in a frictionless space. The total energy absorbed by the blackbody is 1e6 J, and the momentum is calculated to be 0.0033 kgm/s. The final velocity of the blackbody is found to be 1.65 m/s, and its final kinetic energy is 0.0027 J. This is less than the total energy of the absorbed photons due to the energy being used to increase the temperature of the blackbody and being radiated out.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

a 100W beam of light is shone onto a blackbody of mass 2e-3 kg for 10e4 seconds. The blackbody is intially at rest in a frictionless space

a) Compute the total energy and momentum absorbed by the blackbody from the light beam b) calculate the blackbody's velocity at the end of the period of illumination, and c) compute the final kinetic energy of the blackbody. Why is the latter less than the total energy of the absorbed photons?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) find energy - easy 100 J/s * 10e5 s =1e6 J absorbed

momentum - here's the part I'm slightly unsure of. At first I thought that I needed the wavelength, but that's only if I want to know the momentum of an individual photon.

So here's what I said sum of photon momentum = 1/c * sum of absorbed energy
so sum of absorbed p = 0.0033 kgm/s

b) 0.0033 = (2e-3)*v , v =1.65 m/s

c) (1/2)*(2e-3)*1.65^2 = 0.0027 J and I think this is less than the total energy of the absorbed photons because much of the energy goes into raising the temperature of the blackbody and much of the energy is radiated out.

Is this correct? I'm not sure if I have a really good picture of what is going on in my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts on this one?

Related to Blackbody radiation of beam of light

What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation is the thermal electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object due to its temperature. It is also known as Planck radiation or thermal radiation.

What is the relationship between temperature and blackbody radiation?

The amount and wavelength of blackbody radiation emitted by an object is dependent on its temperature. Higher temperatures result in a greater amount of radiation and shorter wavelengths.

How does a beam of light exhibit blackbody radiation?

When a beam of light passes through a material, it can transfer its energy to the atoms and molecules in the material, causing them to emit blackbody radiation in the form of heat.

What is the importance of blackbody radiation in understanding the behavior of light?

Blackbody radiation plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter. It helps explain the color and intensity of light emitted by objects, and is essential in fields such as astrophysics and thermodynamics.

Can blackbody radiation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, blackbody radiation can be observed in everyday life. For example, the heat emitted by a stove or the light emitted by a lightbulb are both forms of blackbody radiation. Additionally, the colors of objects we see are a result of the different wavelengths of blackbody radiation they emit or reflect.