Blackbody Radiation of Boiling Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of modeling a coffee mug as a black body for IR radiation and calculating the expected peak emissions of hot coffee in the mug. The individual is unsure if this is accurate and asks for input on the matter. They also mention using Wien's Law and the possibility of additional emissions from the chemistry of the coffee.
stanli121
I was thinking about this the other day and I wanted some other input on the matter. Cups of boiling water (I was thinking about coffee) give off gobs of IR radiation at both near and mid wavelengths. Could I think of a coffee mug as an approximate black body for IR radiation? The insulation of the mug seems to make it possible but I'm really unsure.

Second, is there a decent theoretical manner to calculating the expected peak emissions of hot coffee in a coffee mug? I'm getting very curious and I could always use an IR spectrometer but I was wondering if there's any method via QM based on vibrational modes of water at a given temperature to predict the peak emissions? If the cup can be modeled as a blackbody Planck's Radiation Law solves my problems but I have a hunch it won't be that simple.

Lastly, my understanding of this physics is at the advanced undergraduate level so I should be able to understand any math/theory people throw out for this. Thanks a lot in advance mates!

Physics news on Phys.org
stanli121 said:
I was thinking about this the other day and I wanted some other input on the matter. Cups of boiling water (I was thinking about coffee) give off gobs of IR radiation at both near and mid wavelengths. Could I think of a coffee mug as an approximate black body for IR radiation? The insulation of the mug seems to make it possible but I'm really unsure.

Second, is there a decent theoretical manner to calculating the expected peak emissions of hot coffee in a coffee mug? I'm getting very curious and I could always use an IR spectrometer but I was wondering if there's any method via QM based on vibrational modes of water at a given temperature to predict the peak emissions? If the cup can be modeled as a blackbody Planck's Radiation Law solves my problems but I have a hunch it won't be that simple.

Lastly, my understanding of this physics is at the advanced undergraduate level so I should be able to understand any math/theory people throw out for this. Thanks a lot in advance mates!

I don't understand why you wouldn't expect Wien's Law to give the correct answer?

Doesn't the Wien Law rely on the object being a black body? If the coffee could be considered a black body then this would be a relatively simple thing to figure out but that's where I'm stuck -- whether or not this can be accurately modeled as a black body!

stanli121 said:
Doesn't the Wien Law rely on the object being a black body? If the coffee could be considered a black body then this would be a relatively simple thing to figure out but that's where I'm stuck -- whether or not this can be accurately modeled as a black body!

Why wouldn't it be a black body? It's going to have additional absorption/emission depending on the chemistry but it'll still have the black body as the dominant emission. If you don't want to worry about additional emissions then do your experiment in a dark box+faraday cage

Related to Blackbody Radiation of Boiling Water

1. What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object due to its temperature. It is also known as thermal radiation because it is caused by the thermal energy of the object.

2. How does blackbody radiation of boiling water differ from that of other objects?

Blackbody radiation of boiling water is unique because of the high temperature and the presence of steam. The water molecules in boiling water have a higher kinetic energy compared to other objects, resulting in a wider range of emitted radiation, including infrared and visible light.

3. How is blackbody radiation of boiling water measured?

Blackbody radiation of boiling water can be measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the intensity of radiation at different wavelengths. The resulting curve is known as the blackbody radiation curve, and the peak of the curve corresponds to the temperature of the boiling water.

4. What is the relationship between blackbody radiation and the color of boiling water?

The color of boiling water is directly related to its blackbody radiation. As the temperature of the water increases, the color of the emitted radiation shifts from red to orange, yellow, white, and finally blue as the temperature continues to rise. This is known as the blackbody radiation color temperature relationship.

5. How does the surrounding environment affect blackbody radiation of boiling water?

The surrounding environment can affect the blackbody radiation of boiling water in several ways. For example, if the water is boiling in a dark environment, it will emit less visible light compared to a brightly lit environment. Additionally, the presence of other objects, such as a pot or a lid, can also affect the amount and wavelength of emitted radiation.