Block collision attached to spring

In summary, the problem involves two blocks of masses m and 2m attached to a spring with a force constant k. After the spring is released, the blocks collide inelastically and slide together. Neglecting friction, the question asks for the distance (Δx) the blocks would slide beyond the collision point. The equations involved are conservation of energy, momentum, and kinematics. After finding the velocity of the blocks before and after the collision using conservation of energy and momentum, respectively, the distance traveled can be calculated using the kinematics equation. However, the approach of assuming constant acceleration is flawed and should be avoided.
naianator

Homework Statement

problems_MIT_boriskor_BKimages_10-mass-spring-two-block-collision.png

A block of mass m is attached to a spring with a force constant k, as in the above diagram. Initially, the spring is compressed a distance x from the equilibrium and the block is held at rest. Another block, of mass 2m, is placed a distance x/2 from the equilibrium as shown. After the spring is released, the blocks collide inelastically and slide together. How far (Δx) would the blocks slide beyond the collision point? Neglect friction between the blocks and the horizontal surface.

Homework Equations

U_spring = 1/2*k*x^2

K = 1/2*m*v^2

F = m*a

v_f^2 = v_0^2+2*a*x

The Attempt at a Solution

I used conservation of energy to find the velocity where the two blocks collide at x/2. I'm not sure about this though, because I don't think that conservation of momentum applies and I used 3m for the mass (assuming that the blocks had collided). Then I used N2L to find the acceleration based on the force (-kx) and mass (3m). I plugged that into the kinematics equation for final velocity and solved for delta x. I'm really not having any luck.

E_i = 1/2*k*x^2 = E_f = 1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*k*x_f^2

at x/2 where m collides with 2m:

1/2*k*x^2 = 1/2*3m*v^2 + 1/8*k*x^2

k*x^2 = 3m*v^2 + 1/4*k*x^2

3/4*k*x^2 = 3*m*v^2

yielding

v = sqrt(k*x^2/(4*m))

by Newtons second law a = -k*x/(3*m)

and using kinematics (v_f^2 = v_0^2+2*a*x)

0 = k*x^2/(4*m) - 2*(k*x/(3*m))*delta(x)

x/4 = 2/3*delta(x)

delta(x) = 3/8*x

Am I way off base with this approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
naianator said:
I used conservation of energy to find the velocity where the two blocks collide at x/2.
You can use conservation of energy to find the velocity of mass m just before the collision. But energy is not conserved during the collision itself. (But what is conserved?)

Doc Al said:
You can use conservation of energy to find the velocity of mass m just before the collision. But energy is not conserved during the collision itself. (But what is conserved?)
momentum?

naianator said:

Homework Statement

problems_MIT_boriskor_BKimages_10-mass-spring-two-block-collision.png

A block of mass m is attached to a spring with a force constant k, as in the above diagram. Initially, the spring is compressed a distance x from the equilibrium and the block is held at rest. Another block, of mass 2m, is placed a distance x/2 from the equilibrium as shown. After the spring is released, the blocks collide inelastically and slide together. How far (Δx) would the blocks slide beyond the collision point? Neglect friction between the blocks and the horizontal surface.

Homework Equations

U_spring = 1/2*k*x^2

K = 1/2*m*v^2

F = m*a

v_f^2 = v_0^2+2*a*x

The Attempt at a Solution

I used conservation of energy to find the velocity where the two blocks collide at x/2. I'm not sure about this though, because I don't think that conservation of momentum applies and I used 3m for the mass (assuming that the blocks had collided). Then I used N2L to find the acceleration based on the force (-kx) and mass (3m). I plugged that into the kinematics equation for final velocity and solved for delta x. I'm really not having any luck.

E_i = 1/2*k*x^2 = E_f = 1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*k*x_f^2

at x/2 where m collides with 2m:

1/2*k*x^2 = 1/2*3m*v^2 + 1/8*k*x^2

k*x^2 = 3m*v^2 + 1/4*k*x^2

3/4*k*x^2 = 3*m*v^2

yielding

v = sqrt(k*x^2/(4*m))

by Newtons second law a = -k*x/(3*m)

and using kinematics (v_f^2 = v_0^2+2*a*x)

0 = k*x^2/(4*m) - 2*(k*x/(3*m))*delta(x)

x/4 = 2/3*delta(x)

delta(x) = 3/8*x

Am I way off base with this approach?
According to what I did understand of your method to solve the problem.You have conserved energy in an inelastic collision which I don't think is valid.
Conservation of linear momentum however will hold true.I suggest you use that to find the final velocities of the blocks.

Edit:I'm sorry,I didn't see the earlier replies to the post.

naianator said:
momentum?
Yes!

Ellispson said:
According to what I did understand of your method to solve the problem.You have conserved energy in an inelastic collision which I don't think is valid.
Conservation of linear momentum however will hold true.I suggest you use that to find the final velocities of the blocks.
so according to conservation of momentum mass m has velocity sqrt(3*k*x^2/(4*m)) before the collision and according to conservation of momentum the blocks have velocity sqrt(3*k*x^2/(4*m))/3 after the collision. Can I find the acceleration and distance traveled with the same approach I tried before?

Doc Al said:
Yes!
so if I find the velocity of the masses after the collision can I use N2L and kinematics to find distance traveled?

naianator said:
so if I find the velocity of the masses after the collision can I use N2L and kinematics to find distance traveled?
I'm assuming not because I got another wrong answer

naianator said:
so according to conservation of momentum mass m has velocity sqrt(3*k*x^2/(4*m)) before the collision
I believe you mean conservation of energy here.

naianator said:
and according to conservation of momentum the blocks have velocity sqrt(3*k*x^2/(4*m))/3 after the collision.
Right.

naianator said:
Can I find the acceleration and distance traveled with the same approach I tried before?
No. That method was flawed since you assumed constant acceleration.

During the collision, energy is not conserved. But before and after the collision it is.

naianator said:
No, but see above for a hint.

Likes naianator and Ellispson
Doc Al said:
I believe you mean conservation of energy here.Right.No. That method was flawed since you assumed constant acceleration.

During the collision, energy is not conserved. But before and after the collision it is.No, but see above for a hint.
ahhh so I can use conservation of energy again

naianator said:
ahhh so I can use conservation of energy again
so is it 1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*k*(x/2)^2 = 1/2*k*delta(x)^2

= x^2/12+x^2/4 = delta(x)^2

delta(x) = .57735?

Doc Al said:
I believe you mean conservation of energy here.Right.No. That method was flawed since you assumed constant acceleration.

During the collision, energy is not conserved. But before and after the collision it is.No, but see above for a hint.

naianator said:

= x^2/12+x^2/4 = delta(x)^2

delta(x) = .57735?

Nope. So what am I doing wrong now?

naianator said:
Make sure you have the right mass and speed for the KE term. And express the final PE term in terms of Δx properly. Δx is the distance beyond the collision point, not the final distance from equilibrium.

Likes naianator
Doc Al said:
Make sure you have the right mass and speed for the KE term. And express the final PE term in terms of Δx properly. Δx is the distance beyond the collision point, not the final distance from equilibrium.
Got it, thanks.

FAQ: Block collision attached to spring

1. What is "block collision attached to spring"?

"Block collision attached to spring" is a physical phenomenon in which a block or object collides with a spring causing the spring to compress or extend. This can occur in various situations, such as a ball bouncing on a trampoline or a car hitting a speed bump.

2. How does block collision attached to spring work?

When a block collides with a spring, the force of the impact causes the spring to compress or extend. This is due to the conservation of energy principle, where the kinetic energy of the block is transferred to the potential energy of the spring. The spring then exerts a force on the block, causing it to bounce back or move forward.

3. What factors affect block collision attached to spring?

There are several factors that can affect block collision attached to spring, such as the mass and velocity of the block, the stiffness of the spring, and the angle of impact. These factors can impact the amount of compression or extension of the spring and the resulting force exerted on the block.

4. How is block collision attached to spring used in real life?

Block collision attached to spring is used in many everyday objects, such as mattresses, trampolines, and shock absorbers in cars. It is also used in mechanical devices, such as door closers and pogo sticks. Additionally, this phenomenon is studied in physics and engineering to better understand motion and energy.

5. Are there any practical applications of block collision attached to spring?

Yes, there are many practical applications of block collision attached to spring. It is used in sports equipment, such as basketballs and tennis rackets, to provide a bounce or recoil effect. It is also used in safety devices, such as airbags, to absorb impact and protect individuals in car accidents. Understanding this phenomenon also helps engineers design more efficient and durable structures and machines.

Back