Block Movement Dynamics: Solving for Time, Acceleration, and Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block of mass m on a rough horizontal surface. The block experiences a force, F(t), for a certain period of time and then only friction (F=0) for the remaining time. The goal is to find the time t2, acceleration a2, and distance s2, as well as create diagrams for acceleration, velocity, and time. The conversation also mentions an attempt at using an Impulse formula and calculating the force and velocity at a certain time, but the result is not accurate.
Preach99

Homework Statement

Hi guys. First of all, great forum you've got here.

I have a problem and I hope you can help me with this one.

Block of mass m lies on a rough horizontal surface. In the period 0 - t1, the block is moving due to the force F(t), which varies depending on the time. In period t1 - t2 we only have friction (F=0), and the block in the time t2 has speed v2=1 m/s. I have to find time t2, acceleration in t2 (a2) and distance s2. I also have to draw a, v, t diagrams.

Homework Equations

m2v⃗ -m1v⃗ 1=∫F(t)⃗ dt

The Attempt at a Solution

9q9w6b.jpg

my formula in mathcad

uvvx3.jpg

I'm stuck with this integration. I understand that the first part (F*cos(60°)) is the area under the curve - √2 *m*g

I hope you guys can help. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
wow, 400 views and no reply lol

I was quite busy today but I tried a different approach.
First, I only calculated the part from 0 to t1 with that Impulse formula and the speed v1 (@ t1) is 4.346 m/s.

Then, since the force is F=0, I have Fn=m*g (y axis), and Frx=-μ*m*g (x axis).
And when I try to calculate this part, I get a weird result -> t2=0.394 s lol.
IDK, this could only make sense if the real t2 time would be √2+0.394=1.808 seconds

:blushing:

Related to Block Movement Dynamics: Solving for Time, Acceleration, and Distance

1. What is block movement and dynamics?

Block movement and dynamics refers to the study of how forces and motion affect the movement of solid objects, specifically blocks. It involves analyzing the forces acting on the block, such as gravity or friction, and how these forces affect its motion.

2. What are the different types of block movement?

There are three main types of block movement: translational, rotational, and vibrational. Translational movement is when the block moves in a straight line, rotational movement is when the block spins around an axis, and vibrational movement is when the block moves back and forth in a repeating motion.

3. How do forces affect block movement?

Forces can either cause a block to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction and speed. The magnitude and direction of the force acting on the block will determine how it moves.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic friction in block movement?

Static friction is the force that prevents a stationary block from moving, while dynamic friction is the force that opposes the movement of a block that is already in motion. The amount of static friction is usually greater than dynamic friction.

5. Can block movement and dynamics be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, block movement and dynamics have many practical applications in the real world, such as in engineering, architecture, and sports. Understanding how forces affect block movement can help in designing structures, predicting the trajectory of objects, and improving athletic performance.