Block on inclinded plane, and falls

In summary, a box of mass M falls down a 60 degree inclined ramp with a velocity of v1. The force on the box is gcos 30. The time it takes to reach the bottom of the ramp is t1. The box then falls off the ramp with a velocity of v2 and falls a distance h. The time it falls is t2. The goal is to find t1 and t2. Using conservation of energy and momentum, as well as kinematic equations, one can solve for these unknown variables.
thomsm10

Homework Statement

A box of mass M, is falling down a ramp with velocity v1,the ramp is inclined at 60 degrees, the momentum is mv. The force on the box is gcos 30. The time it takes to reach the bottom is t1. Then the box falls off the ramp with a velocity v2, it falls some distance h. The time it falls is t2.

find t1 and t2.

Homework Equations

h = 1/2 at2^2 + v2 sin60t.
Equation of motion Mg-F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know by conservation of energy 1/2 Mv1^2 + mgd = 1/2 mv2^2.
and conservation of momentum mv1=mv2
But how am I supposed to get the time out of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The problem statement is garbled, and you have not said what you are supposed to find.

Lets see if I've put the clues together:

A box mass m accelerates from rest (at t=0) down a ramp inclined at 60deg to the horizontal, reaching the end of the ramp at t=t1 where it leaves the ramp with speed v(t1)=v1 and falls freely until it strikes a surface at time t=t1+t2 (i.e. from ramp to floor take time interval t2)

Is that about it?

I still cannot tell what you are supposed to find from all that, so I cannot work out what your method is supposed to achieve. I'll just deal with what you wrote.

Now I know by conservation of energy 1/2 Mv1^2 + mgd = 1/2 mv2^2.
You should show your reasoning as well. What is v2 and d here? This is the first time you've mentioned them.

Guessing: if v2=v(t2) then d=h in the description.
Is there a special reason you changed the variable name for the height fallen from h to d?

Presumably you don't have t2, or v1 or v2 ?

But you should have a conservation of energy for the journey down the ramp.

and conservation of momentum mv1=mv2
However - you should notice that total momentum is allowed to change because the box is being acted on by an unbalanced force.

But how am I supposed to get the time out of this?
You need as many equations as you have unknowns.
From what you've written, you only now the angle of the slope (and maybe the acceleration of gravity)? So variables in the problem statement you don't know are: t1, t2, v1, h ...

You can, however, use kinematic equations to help you, since the acceleration is constant in each leg of the journey (a different constant in each leg). For the second, free falling, leg, it may help to divide the motion into horizontal and vertical components.

Hint: ballistics

Related to Block on inclinded plane, and falls

What is a block on an inclined plane?

A block on an inclined plane is a simple physics problem where a block is placed on a slope or incline and allowed to slide down the surface due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the motion of a block on an inclined plane?

The motion of a block on an inclined plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the block, and the force of gravity acting on the block.

How do you calculate the acceleration of a block on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a block on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline.

What happens to the acceleration if the angle of the incline is increased?

As the angle of the incline is increased, the acceleration of the block will also increase because the component of gravity acting parallel to the incline also increases.

What is the difference between a block on an inclined plane and a block on a flat surface?

The main difference is that a block on an inclined plane experiences a force of gravity acting parallel to the surface, while a block on a flat surface only experiences a force of gravity acting straight down.