Block sliding down wedge (w/ friction), wedge on frictionless floor

In summary, a block with a mass of 5 kg slides down the inclined surface of a rough wedge with a mass of 10 kg. At one instant, the block's velocity has a vertical component of 3.0 m/s and a horizontal component of 6 m/s. Using the conservation of momentum, it can be determined that the velocity of the wedge at that instant is half of the block's horizontal velocity, or 3 m/s. The rough surface implies friction, so mechanical energy is not conserved in this scenario.
vitus

Homework Statement

A large Wedge with mass 10 kg rests on a horizontal frictionless surface (think right triangle on a unit circle, theta <90 deg.). A block with a mass of 5 kg starts at rest (near the top) and slides down the inclined surface of the wedge, which is rough (does this imply friction?). At one instant the vertical component of the block's velocity is 3.0 m/s and the horizontal component is 6 m/s. At that instant the velocity of the wedge is:

Homework Equations

None provided, here's what I know:

Mass of the block = Mb = 5 kg
Mass of the Wdge = Mw = 10 kg
theta = tan^-1(3/6) ~ 26.56 deg. (from x-axis)
Velocity of the block = (3^2 + 6^2)^(1/2) ~ 6.7m/s @ 206.56 deg.

Here's what I think is possibly useful:

conservation of energy:
KEb + PEb + KEb + KEw = Me (total mechanical energy)
(Kinetic energy of the block, Potential energy of the block, etc for the wedge)

Sum of Forces:
SUM(Fx) = 0
(Sum of forces in the X-axis is zero)
SUM(Fy) = 0

Conservation of momentum:
MbVbi + MwVwi = MbVbf + MwVwf
(sum of the initial mass x velocity of objects = sum of final mass x velocity of objects)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken several approaches
1) Reference Frames

Vb/e = Vb/w + Bw/e
(Velocity of the block w/ respect to Earth is the sum of Vblock w/ res. to wedge + wedge to earth)

6 m/s = (gravity - friction here) + Bw/e
6 m/s = (Mb(g)cos(theta) - Fnus) + Bw/e
6 m/s = (5gcos(26.56) - (5gcos(26.56)us) + Bw/e
6 m/s = (1 - us) + Bw/e

except us is neither stated nor computable...

2) Conservation of Momentum
MbVbi + MwVwi = MbVbf + MwVwf
5(0) + 10(0) = 5(6.7) + 10(Vwf)
except everything starts at rest, yet end up moving so momentum isn't conserved here

3) Conservation of Energy
KEb + PEb + KEb + KEw = Me
0.5Mb(Vbo)^2 + Mbgho + 0.5Mw(Vwo)^2 = 0.5Mb(Vbf)^2 + Mbghf + 0.5Mw(Vwf)^2

Here there is no inital KE so it becomes
Mbgho = 0.5Mb(Vbf)^2 + Mbghf + 0.5Mw(Vwf)^2
(5)g(ho) = 0.5(5)(6.7)^2 + (5)g(hf) + 0.5(10)(Vwf)^2
g(ho) = 0.5(Vbf)^2 + g(hf) + 0.5(10/5)(Vwf)^2
Lets choose the instant where the block hits h=0, so this removes g(hf) from the equation:
g(ho) = 0.5(Vbf)^2 + 0.5(10/5)(Vwf)^2
(g(ho) / 0.5(Vbf)^2)^(1/2) = Vwf

great, except for two catches. First what is the original height (ho) and what about the energy lost to friction (does the prof. mean there's frinction when he says rough?)

Just from basic reasoning, if the block is going 6m/s left as it slides and the ratio of masses is 1:2 then the wedge will go 3 m/s right, but I can't seem to get that answer...

btw, I already took the test this question was on and he gave me 4/5 points for the work showed and the explanation I gave above (even though the work didn't really fit with my explanation). I'm just curious as to how one would solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some comments:
- Yes, a rough surface does imply friction. Thus mechanical energy is not conserved.
- Momentum can be conserved in one direction, yet not conserved in another. (That's the key to solving this with barely any work at all.)

Likes berrylium
I see so it becomes
MbVbix + MwVwix = -MbVbfx + MwVwfx
which, since everything is at rest initially, becomes:
0 = -MbVbfx + MwVwfx
MbVbfx = MwVwfx
(5 kg)(6 m/s) = (10 kg)(Vwfx)

0.5(6 m/s) = 3 m/s

Seems rather obvious now that you point it out. Thanks.

Related to Block sliding down wedge (w/ friction), wedge on frictionless floor

1. What is the relationship between the angle of the wedge and the acceleration of the block?

The acceleration of the block is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of the wedge. This means that as the angle of the wedge increases, the acceleration of the block also increases.

2. How does friction affect the block sliding down the wedge?

Friction acts against the motion of the block, causing it to slow down and reducing its acceleration. This means that the block will slide down the wedge at a slower rate than it would on a frictionless surface.

3. What is the role of the normal force in this scenario?

The normal force is the force exerted by the surface of the wedge on the block, perpendicular to the surface. It helps to counteract the force of gravity acting on the block and keeps it from falling through the wedge.

4. Can the angle of the wedge be too steep for the block to slide down?

Yes, if the angle of the wedge is too steep, the force of gravity acting on the block will be greater than the maximum friction force between the block and the wedge. This will cause the block to remain in place and not slide down the wedge.

5. How does the mass of the block affect its acceleration down the wedge?

The mass of the block has no direct effect on its acceleration down the wedge. However, a heavier block will have a greater downward force due to gravity, which may result in a larger normal force from the wedge and a decreased acceleration due to increased friction.