Block Specific User's PMs Without Ignoring: Solutions

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a possible solution to block a specific user's PMs without having to add them to the ignore list. The user is tired of receiving and deleting unwanted PMs from this person and hopes that a more strongly worded reply or this post will solve the issue. They also mention the need for a way to selectively block PMs without ignoring posts on the board.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there a way to block a specific user's PMs from being delivered to my inbox without resorting to adding them to my ignore list? I don't want to block all PMs and have no reason to ignore this person's posts on the board, just am getting tired of deleting PMs I don't care to receive or respond to from someone not getting the point that their correspondence is unwelcome (nothing offensive, just getting annoying due to over-abundance). Simply blocking the PMs from that sender would solve the problem easily enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry Moonbear:redface: :!) :biggrin:

jcsd said:
Sorry Moonbear:redface: :!) :biggrin:

:smile:

(And, tribdog, it's not you either...:biggrin:)

Hopefully a more strongly worded reply to the last PM has solved the problem (or perhaps the particular member in question will see this post and have all doubt removed from their mind). I asked here because others may have periodically encountered members who were overzealous with PMs and it would be useful to be able to selectively block PMs without ignoring posts on the board. Right now, I'm only aware of the ability to ignore EVERYTHING from a given member, which is more drastic than the situation warrants.

Related to Block Specific User's PMs Without Ignoring: Solutions

What is the purpose of blocking a specific user's PMs without ignoring them?

The purpose of this feature is to allow users to block unwanted private messages from a specific user without having to completely ignore or block them entirely. This can be useful if the user wants to continue to interact with the person in public forums, but does not want to receive private messages from them.

How does the blocking feature work?

The blocking feature works by allowing users to add a specific person to their blocked list, preventing them from sending private messages. This can usually be done by clicking on the user's profile and selecting the "block" or "ignore" option.

Can a user still receive private messages from a blocked user if they are in a group conversation?

No, once a user has been blocked, they will not be able to send private messages to the user or participate in group conversations with them. However, the user may still see messages sent by the blocked user in a group conversation, but they will not be able to respond or interact with them.

Can a user unblock a person's private messages?

Yes, a user can unblock a person's private messages at any time by removing them from their blocked list. This can usually be done by going to the "blocked users" section in the user's account settings and selecting the option to unblock the specific user.

Is there a way to block all private messages from users who are not on my friends list?

This feature may vary depending on the platform or messaging system being used. Some platforms may have an option to only receive private messages from friends, while others may require the user to manually block each individual user they do not want to receive messages from. It is recommended to check the platform's settings or FAQs for more information on this feature.

Back