Blocks are connected by thin strings with tensions

In summary, to calculate the tension Tz in the system, the total mass of the blocks (130 kg) and the total force acting on the system (24 N) were used to find the acceleration of the system (0.1846 m/s^2). Next, the internal forces were determined by using the mass of each block and the acceleration of the system. Finally, by using the equation Tz - Ty = 39 * 0.1846, the tension Tz was calculated to be approximately 55.7 N.
NikkiNik

Homework Statement

Four blocks are on a horizontal surface.
<---F2---B---Tx---A---Tz---D----Ty--C---F1-->

The blocks are connected by thin strings with tensions Tx, Ty, Tz. The masses of the blocks are A=41.0 kg, B=21.0 kg, C=29.0 kg, D=39.0 kg. Two forces, F1=47.0N and F2=71.0N act on the masses as shown. Assume that the friction between the masses and the surface is negligible and calculate the tension Tz.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the total mass =130 kg
Total force 71-47= 24 N
Then the acceleration F/m=0.1846 m/s^2
Next I calculated the Tension in Tz by :
Tz -F1 = 130 * 0.1846
I got 70.9 N

I'm not sure if that's correct??

Physics news on Phys.org

NikkiNik said:

Homework Statement

Four blocks are on a horizontal surface.
<---F2---B---Tx---A---Tz---D----Ty--C---F1-->

The blocks are connected by thin strings with tensions Tx, Ty, Tz. The masses of the blocks are A=41.0 kg, B=21.0 kg, C=29.0 kg, D=39.0 kg. Two forces, F1=47.0N and F2=71.0N act on the masses as shown. Assume that the friction between the masses and the surface is negligible and calculate the tension Tz.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the total mass =130 kg
Total force 71-47= 24 N
Then the acceleration F/m=0.1846 m/s^2
Next I calculated the Tension in Tz by :
Tz -F1 = 130 * 0.1846
I got 70.9 N

I'm not sure if that's correct??

Not quite. You have the acceleration of the system. That's a start.

Now you need to figure the internal forces, you know like block 1 times acceleration is presenting a force, block 2 times acceleration ... etc. Then you can determine the tension in the middle cord.

Tz -F1 = 130 * 0.1846 It is not correct.
From Ty -F1 = 29 * 0.1846 find Ty
From Tz - Ty = 39 * 0.1846 Find Tz

Related to Blocks are connected by thin strings with tensions

1. How do you calculate the tension in the strings connecting the blocks?

The tension in the strings can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What happens to the tension when the blocks are pulled in opposite directions?

When the blocks are pulled in opposite directions, the tension in the strings increases as the blocks try to move away from each other. The tension will be equal to the force applied to the blocks.

3. Can the tension in the strings be greater than the weight of the blocks?

Yes, the tension in the strings can be greater than the weight of the blocks if an external force is applied to the blocks or if the system is accelerating.

4. How does the angle of the strings affect the tension in the system?

The tension in the system is affected by the angle of the strings. As the angle between the strings decreases, the tension in the strings increases. This is because the weight of the blocks is divided between the two strings, resulting in a higher tension in each string.

5. Can the tension in the strings ever be zero?

The tension in the strings can be zero if there is no external force acting on the blocks and the system is at rest. However, if the system is in motion, there will always be some tension in the strings to keep the blocks connected.