Boat Hauling Skier: Calculating Acceleration

• Thread starter bigdaddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary, using the equation F=ma, the boat is accelerating at a rate of 0.69m/s^2 while hauling a 250kg skier with a force of 200N at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal. The trigonometric function cos() can be used to determine the horizontal force on the skier and boat, which in this case is 173N.
bigdaddy

Homework Statement

A boat is hauling a 250kg skier at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal with a force of 200 N. How much is the boat accelerating?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using the F=ma equation. My only question is how does the 30 degrees play into it? Would it be :

200N= 250kg(cos30) * a? with this I get .03m/s. Which seems somewhat accurate since 200N isn't much force at all. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the 200N force means in the direction of the cable (ie 200N of tension) then then horizontal force on the skier (and so on the boat) is
200N cos(30) = 173N

Then F = ma ,
173 = 250 a
a= 0.69m/s^2

edit - google calculator uses rad for trig functions !

Ok. Thanks. That makes sense. At least I had the right equation. Thanks for your help. The 30 degrees threw me off.

Instead of remembering cos / sin etc it's better to picture what's happening

If the rope is horizontal (angle=0) then all the force is being used to slow the boat, as the rope drops less force is being applied horizontally, so you need a trig function that starts at 1 for 0 degrees and slowly gets less = cos()

Related to Boat Hauling Skier: Calculating Acceleration

What is boat hauling skier?

Boat hauling skier is a recreational activity where a person is pulled behind a boat while skiing on water.

How is acceleration calculated in boat hauling skier?

Acceleration in boat hauling skier is calculated using the formula: acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. This means that the change in speed of the boat pulling the skier over a certain time period is divided by the time taken to determine the acceleration.

Why is calculating acceleration important in boat hauling skier?

Calculating acceleration in boat hauling skier is important because it helps determine the speed at which the boat needs to travel in order to safely pull the skier. It also helps skiers understand their own speed and adjust accordingly for safety.

What factors can affect acceleration in boat hauling skier?

There are several factors that can affect acceleration in boat hauling skier. These include the weight of the skier, the weight and speed of the boat, the type of water conditions, and the strength of the boat's engine.

Can acceleration be controlled in boat hauling skier?

Yes, acceleration can be controlled in boat hauling skier. The driver of the boat can control the speed at which the boat is traveling, therefore controlling the acceleration. Skiers can also control their own speed by adjusting their body position and the angle of their skis.