Bob Throws Rock: Force & Recoil Speed

• Thread starter Phoenixtears
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary: Conservation_of_momentumIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Bob throwing a rock with a given mass and speed, and the distance his hand moves while throwing it. The first part of the problem involves finding the force exerted by Bob on the rock, which is solved using various equations. The second part of the problem involves finding Bob's recoil speed after releasing the rock, which can be solved using conservation of momentum.
Phoenixtears
SOVLED

Homework Statement

Bob, who has a mass of 75 kg, can throw a 600 g rock with a speed of 35 m/s. The distance through which his hand moves as he accelerates the rock forward from rest until he releases it is 1.6 m.

(a) What constant force must Bob exert on the rock to throw it with this speed?
229.7 N

(b) If Bob is standing on frictionless ice, what is his recoil speed after releasing the rock?
___ m/s

Homework Equations

1. F=ma
2. Vf=Vo+at
3. X=Vot+.5a(t^2)
4. Vf^2=(Vo)^2+2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I got the first part of the problem correct by using the fourth equation and solving for acceleration which equals 382.8. I then applied that to the first equation, because the mass (.6) was given, to find the force which equals 229.7. But, I can't seem to figure out how to start the second equation. I thought that the force would be the same for Bob because of Newton's third law and so I found the acceleration using equation 1, and then applied that to the fourth equation again to find the final velocity. That number kept coming out around 3.13 but that answer isn't correct. Any idea what I'm doing incorrectly and what I should be doing? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phoenixtears said:

Homework Statement

Bob, who has a mass of 75 kg, can throw a 600 g rock with a speed of 35 m/s. The distance through which his hand moves as he accelerates the rock forward from rest until he releases it is 1.6 m.

(a) What constant force must Bob exert on the rock to throw it with this speed?
229.7 N

(b) If Bob is standing on frictionless ice, what is his recoil speed after releasing the rock?
___ m/s

Homework Equations

1. F=ma
2. Vf=Vo+at
3. X=Vot+.5a(t^2)
4. Vf^2=(Vo)^2+2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I got the first part of the problem correct by using the fourth equation and solving for acceleration which equals 382.8. I then applied that to the first equation, because the mass (.6) was given, to find the force which equals 229.7. But, I can't seem to figure out how to start the second equation. I thought that the force would be the same for Bob because of Newton's third law and so I found the acceleration using equation 1, and then applied that to the fourth equation again to find the final velocity. That number kept coming out around 3.13 but that answer isn't correct. Any idea what I'm doing incorrectly and what I should be doing? Thank you in advance!

The second part of the question is simpler than the first one. Just apply conservation of momentum.
0.6*35=75*v
v=0.28 m/sec
right??

ritwik06 said:
The second part of the question is simpler than the first one. Just apply conservation of momentum.
0.6*35=75*v
v=0.28 m/sec
right??

Whew, it's taking me a while to rap my head around the conservation of momentum. Thank you very much. I don't think we've gone over this in class yet, so you've been a lifesaver.

Thank you so much!

Phoenixtears said:
Whew, it's taking me a while to rap my head around the conservation of momentum. Thank you very much. I don't think we've gone over this in class yet, so you've been a lifesaver.

Thank you so much!

It can also b don using Newton's law but conservation of momentum is the easy way round. You can learn it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

FAQ: Bob Throws Rock: Force & Recoil Speed

1. What is the concept of force in "Bob Throws Rock: Force & Recoil Speed"?

In this experiment, force is the push or pull that Bob exerts on the rock when he throws it. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can affect the rock's motion and speed.

2. How does the force applied by Bob affect the motion of the rock?

The force applied by Bob on the rock causes the rock to accelerate in the direction of the force. This means that the rock's speed and/or direction will change depending on the magnitude and direction of the force applied.

3. What is recoil speed and how is it related to force?

Recoil speed is the speed at which Bob moves backwards after throwing the rock. It is caused by the reaction force from the rock when Bob applies a force on it. The greater the force applied by Bob, the greater the recoil speed will be.

4. Can other factors besides force affect the recoil speed?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the recoil speed such as the mass of the rock and the surface it is thrown on. These factors can influence the amount of reaction force the rock exerts on Bob and therefore affect the recoil speed.

5. How can we measure the force applied by Bob in this experiment?

The force applied by Bob can be measured using a force sensor or a spring scale. These tools can measure the force in Newtons and can give us an accurate representation of the force applied by Bob on the rock.

Back