Bolometric Magnitude and H-R diagram

In summary, the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram uses Mv as the Absolute Magnitude on the vertical axis, as the bolometric magnitude is difficult to measure and there is no clear indication of which one is used on the diagram.
Barnak
I need to clarify something important, with the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram :

What actually is the Absolute Magnitude on the vertical axis ? **Rigorously**, is it the Visual Absolute Magnitude [tex]M_V[/tex] or is it the Bolometric Absolute Magnitude [tex]M_{bolo}[/tex] ?

Usually, we find "sloppy" H-R diagrams everywhere, which draws Luminosity (or Absolute Magn) on its vertical axis. But nowhere do they state clearly which one it is.

I'm now suspecting is should be the bolometric magnitude and Luminosity (i.e. total energy radiated away, and not just the visible part). Am I right ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think you can use both, because (if I'm not wrong) in stars [tex]M_V \simeq M_{bol}[/tex] ; from wikipedia:
"The bolometric magnitude can be computed from the visual magnitude plus a bolometric correction, [tex]M_{bol} = M_V + BC[/tex] . This correction is needed because very hot stars radiate mostly ultraviolet radiation, while very cool stars radiate mostly infrared radiation"
I think it's commonly used [tex]M_V[/tex].

Last edited:
Barnak said:
I need to clarify something important, with the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram :

What actually is the Absolute Magnitude on the vertical axis ? **Rigorously**, is it the Visual Absolute Magnitude [tex]M_V[/tex] or is it the Bolometric Absolute Magnitude [tex]M_{bolo}[/tex] ?

Usually, we find "sloppy" H-R diagrams everywhere, which draws Luminosity (or Absolute Magn) on its vertical axis. But nowhere do they state clearly which one it is.

I'm now suspecting is should be the bolometric magnitude and Luminosity (i.e. total energy radiated away, and not just the visible part). Am I right ?

The H-R diagram just uses Mv as the bolometric magnitude is difficult to measure and isn't accurately known for a lot of stars. Bolometric corrections can be computed, but they're estimates not exact. Stellar spectra are very complex.

Related to Bolometric Magnitude and H-R diagram

1. What is bolometric magnitude and how is it different from other types of magnitude?

Bolometric magnitude is a measure of the total energy output of a star across all wavelengths, while other types of magnitude, such as visual magnitude, only measure the energy output in a specific wavelength range. This makes bolometric magnitude a more comprehensive measure of a star's brightness.

2. What is the significance of the H-R diagram in astronomy?

The Hertzsprung-Russell (H-R) diagram is a plot of a star's luminosity (brightness) against its surface temperature. It is a powerful tool in astronomy because it allows us to classify and understand the evolutionary stages of stars, as well as make predictions about their properties.

3. How is a star's bolometric magnitude related to its position on the H-R diagram?

A star's bolometric magnitude is directly related to its position on the H-R diagram. The more luminous a star is, the higher its bolometric magnitude and the farther to the left it will be on the H-R diagram. Similarly, the hotter a star is, the lower its bolometric magnitude and the higher it will be on the H-R diagram.

4. Can the H-R diagram be used to determine a star's age?

Yes, the H-R diagram can be used to estimate a star's age. By comparing a star's position on the H-R diagram to theoretical models of stellar evolution, we can estimate its age based on its luminosity and temperature.

5. Are there any limitations to using the H-R diagram to study stars?

While the H-R diagram is a useful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be used for stars that are in or near the main sequence stage of their evolution, as stars in other stages may not follow the same patterns. Additionally, the H-R diagram does not account for factors such as a star's composition or rotation, which can affect its position on the diagram.