How to Integrate the Boltzmann Equation Over Heavy Momenta in Cosmology?

• Thread starter alejandrito29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the conversation is about integrating over heavy momenta in an equation involving sigma and v, where the equation involves multiple integrals and Dirac Delta functions. The expert suggests using the identity \int d^3 x \delta^3(x-a) = 1 to simplify the equation and also points out that the reaction in question may have a typo.
alejandrito29
I need integrate "over heavy momenta" the following equation
\sigma v>=
[tex]<\sigma v>= \frac{1}{n^{(0)}_1n^{(0}}_2 \int \frac{d^3p_1}{(2Pi)^3 2 E_1} \int \frac{d^3p_2}{(2Pi)^3 2 E_2} \int \frac{d^3p_3 }{(2Pi)^3 2 E_3} \int \frac{d^3p_4}{(2Pi)^3 2 E_4} e^{-(E_1+E_2)/T} \\

\cdot (2 Pi)^4 \delta^3 (p_1+p_2-p_3-p_4) \delta (E_1+E_2-E_3-E_4) M^2[/tex]

where [tex]n+ \nu \rightarrow p+ e^-[/tex]

I need to find that_

[tex]n_{\nu}^{(0)}< \sigma v>= \frac{Pi}{4m^2}\int \frac{d^3p_\nu}{(2Pi)^3 2 p_\nu} e^{-p_\nu/T}\int \frac{d^3p_e}{(2Pi)^3 2 p_e} \delta (Q-p_\nu-p_e) M^2 [/tex]

where [tex]Q=m_n-m_p[/tex]

I tried very ways, for example using [tex]\delta^3 (p_1+p_2+p_3+p_4)= \delta(p_1)\delta(p_2)\delta(p_3)\delta(p_4) [/tex] but i have very problems with the integration and with the propierties of Dirac Delta...

Help please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried very ways, for example using [tex]\delta^3 (p_1+p_2+p_3+p_4)= \delta(p_1)\delta(p_2)\delta(p_3)\delta(p_4) [/tex] but i have very problems with the integration and with the propierties of Dirac Delta...

Help please

You are confusing your notation here. pn are not different components of a 4-vector, they are 3-vectors corresponding to different particle species.

Now, let's start from the beginning. What are Ep, En, Ev and Ee? Replace them in your equation, and you should only have particle momenta left. Then consider integrating.

Last edited:
clamtrox said:
You are confusing your notation here. pn are not different components of a 4-vector, they are 3-vectors corresponding to different particle species.

Now, let's start from the beginning. What are Ep, En, Ev and Ee? Replace them in your equation, and you should only have particle momenta left. Then consider integrating.

i think that if the particle is heavym (proton and neutron)

[tex]E=\sqrt{m^2+p^2} = m\sqrt{1+\frac{p^2}{m^2}} \approx m[/tex]

[tex]\delta^3 (p_1+p_2-p_3-p_4) \delta (m_n+E_\nu-m_p-E_e) M^2[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{d^3p_e}{(2Pi)^3 2 E_e} e^{-(E_n+E_\nu)/T} \delta^3 (p_n+p_\nu-p_p-p_e) \delta (Q+E_\nu-E_e) M^2[/tex]

but ¿how i use de Dirac Delta? ¿what is the propierty?

That's good! And also for the relativistic particles, Ee = pe and same for neutrino.

Now you notice that your integrand does not depend on the heavy momenta at all. So let's look at the standard delta function identity
[tex] \int d^3 x \delta^3(x-a) = 1 [/tex] if a is in the integral domain. Use this to get rid of one of the integrals (it's really that easy!).

Then you're left with another integral over a heavy momentum, but the integrand still doesn't depend on the integral variable. This integral looks a lot like a phase space number density, so maybe you can find a nice identity for that one somewhere from your material.

clamtrox said:
That's good! And also for the relativistic particles, Ee = pe and same for neutrino.

Now you notice that your integrand does not depend on the heavy momenta at all. So let's look at the standard delta function identity
[tex] \int d^3 x \delta^3(x-a) = 1 [/tex] if a is in the integral domain. Use this to get rid of one of the integrals (it's really that easy!).

Then you're left with another integral over a heavy momentum, but the integrand still doesn't depend on the integral variable. This integral looks a lot like a phase space number density, so maybe you can find a nice identity for that one somewhere from your material.

very thanks, but if Ee = pe then my equation is

[tex]\int \frac{d^3p_e}{(2Pi)^3 2 p_e} e^{-(E_n+E_\nu)/T} \delta^3 (p_n+p_\nu-p_p-p_e) \delta (Q+p_\nu-p_e) M^2[/tex]

but, the integrand [tex] \frac{1}{p_e}[/tex] itself depends on the heavy momentum pe..

then [tex]\int \frac{d^3p_e}{(2Pi)^3 2 p_e} \delta^3 (p_n+p_\nu-p_p-p_e) \neq 1 [/tex]

¿ how i use [tex]\int d^3 x \delta^3(x-a) = 1 [/tex] ?

alejandrito29 said:
... but, the integrand [tex] \frac{1}{p_e}[/tex] itself depends on the heavy momentum pe..

Assume that proton and neutron are heavy, p << m, and that electron and neutrino are light, p >> m.

thank, but my problem is the integral of last post,

alejandrito29 said:
I need integrate "over heavy momenta" the following equation
\sigma v>=
[tex]<\sigma v>= \frac{1}{n^{(0)}_1n^{(0}}_2 \int \frac{d^3p_1}{(2Pi)^3 2 E_1} \int \frac{d^3p_2}{(2Pi)^3 2 E_2} \int \frac{d^3p_3 }{(2Pi)^3 2 E_3} \int \frac{d^3p_4}{(2Pi)^3 2 E_4} e^{-(E_1+E_2)/T} \\

\cdot (2 Pi)^4 \delta^3 (p_1+p_2-p_3-p_4) \delta (E_1+E_2-E_3-E_4) M^2[/tex]

where [tex]n+ \nu \rightarrow p+ e^-[/tex]

I need to find that_

[tex]n_{\nu}^{(0)}< \sigma v>= \frac{Pi}{4m^2}\int \frac{d^3p_\nu}{(2Pi)^3 2 p_\nu} e^{-p_\nu/T}\int \frac{d^3p_e}{(2Pi)^3 2 p_e} \delta (Q-p_\nu-p_e) M^2 [/tex]

where [tex]Q=m_n-m_p[/tex]

First of all, i have problems here regarding the reaction.It should be probably
n→p+e- +v-(however it does not seem from the delta function you have written).Anyway,you are probably calculating cross section,right?So why are there 4 phase space integrals.There should be only two for your reaction and three for mine but there are four?the way to handle the space δ is to integrate over anyone of the three variable,which will left only two momentum integral(according to me) then you have to move forward to time delta function with relation E=√p2+m2.

alejandrito29 said:
thank, but my problem is the integral of last post,

You are not asked to calculate that integral in this problem.

Related to How to Integrate the Boltzmann Equation Over Heavy Momenta in Cosmology?

1. What is the Boltzmann equation in cosmology?

The Boltzmann equation is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a system of particles in a given volume. In cosmology, it is used to study the distribution and interactions of particles in the early universe.

2. How is the Boltzmann equation used in cosmology?

The Boltzmann equation is used to model the behavior of particles in the early universe, including their interactions, decays, and other processes. It is an important tool for understanding the evolution of the universe and making predictions about its structure and composition.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Boltzmann equation in cosmology?

The Boltzmann equation makes several simplifying assumptions, including the assumption of a homogeneous and isotropic universe, the neglect of quantum effects, and the assumption that the particles are in thermal equilibrium.

4. How does the Boltzmann equation relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Boltzmann equation is a key component of the Big Bang theory, as it helps to explain the early stages of the universe's evolution. It is used to study the formation of structures in the universe, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

5. What are some current research areas involving the Boltzmann equation in cosmology?

Some current research areas involving the Boltzmann equation in cosmology include using it to study dark matter and dark energy, to understand the formation and growth of large-scale structures in the universe, and to make predictions about the cosmic microwave background radiation.