Bonus (Unexpected) solution to lagrange equation?

In summary, the lagrange equations are obtained by subtracting (5.34 - 5.35) and dividing 5.37 by (x-y) throughout, as x-y ≠ 0. The final equations are 3(x2 + y2 + z2) + 2λ(x + y + z) + 3μ = 0, where μ = -1. This solution is appropriate, but it is important to note that μ = -1 does not affect the argument that x, y, and z cannot be all different. In cases where two of them are equal, μ = -1 is used to determine the values of x, y, and z.
unscientific

Homework Statement

The lagrange equations are obtained as in the picture. I am only showing the final part of the solution, where they consider the final case of x≠y≠z.

Homework Equations

The equation at the second paragraph is obtained by subtracting: (5.34 - 5.35).

The final equations are obtained by dividing 5.37 by (x-y) throughout, same for the other 2. (Which is ok, since x - y ≠ 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand their method, but why can't I just do this:

(5.34) + (5.35) + (5.36)

3(x2 + y2 + z2) + 2λ(x + y + z) + 3μ = 0

Using the constraints,

3(1) + 0 + 3λ = 0

λ = -1

Not sure if this is a appropriate solution..

Attachments

• lagrange3.jpg
    lagrange3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:

Homework Statement

The lagrange equations are obtained as in the picture. I am only showing the final part of the solution, where they consider the final case of x≠y≠z.

Homework Equations

The equation at the second paragraph is obtained by subtracting: (5.34 - 5.35).

The final equations are obtained by dividing 5.37 by (x-y) throughout, same for the other 2. (Which is ok, since x - y ≠ 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand their method, but why can't I just do this:

(5.34) + (5.35) + (5.36)

3(x2 + y2 + z2) + 2λ(x + y + z) + 3μ = 0

Using the constraints,

3(1) + 0 + 3λ = 0

[STRIKE]λ = -1[/STRIKE]

Not sure if this is a appropriate solution..

You mixed lambda with mu. μ=-1.

ehild

ehild said:
You mixed lambda with mu. μ=-1.

ehild

I see..is it possible to prove that μ=-1 leads to the equations being inconsistent?

unscientific said:
I see..is it possible to prove that μ=-1 leads to the equations being inconsistent?

No, μ=-1 does not matter in the argument which proves that x,y,z can not be all different.

Two of them can be equal and in this case, you would use μ=-1 to get λ and the possible values of x,y,z.

ehild

Related to Bonus (Unexpected) solution to lagrange equation?

1. What is the Lagrange equation and why is it important in science?

The Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the motion of a system. It was developed by Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century and is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and electromagnetics. It is important because it allows scientists to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. How does the Lagrange equation help solve problems with multiple constraints?

The Lagrange equation uses a technique called Lagrange multipliers to account for multiple constraints in a system. This involves adding additional terms to the equation that represent each constraint, allowing for a more accurate and comprehensive solution.

3. Can the Lagrange equation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the Lagrange equation is widely used in the scientific community to solve a variety of real-world problems. It has been applied to problems in mechanics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and many other fields.

4. What is a "bonus" or "unexpected" solution to the Lagrange equation?

A "bonus" or "unexpected" solution to the Lagrange equation refers to a solution that is not immediately apparent or intuitive. It may arise from certain mathematical transformations or simplifications of the equation, and can provide new insights or solutions to problems that were previously unsolvable.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lagrange equation?

Like any mathematical model, the Lagrange equation has its limitations. It assumes that the system being studied is in a state of equilibrium, and may not accurately describe systems that are undergoing rapid changes or are highly chaotic. Additionally, it may not be applicable to systems that involve non-conservative forces or non-linear relationships.