Book for Special Relativity that uses Tensors

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-studying special relativity and finding resources that use four-tensors and complicated machinery typically reserved for general relativity. The conversation mentions several books, including Spacetime Physics by J. Wheeler, The Special Theory of Relativity by David Bohm, Special Relativity: A Mathematical Exposition by Anadijiban Das, and Wolfgang Rindler's Intro. to Special Relativity. The conversation also suggests using a book in general relativity that introduces tensors from a special relativity perspective, such as Schutz's book. Finally, the conversation mentions Landau and Lifgarbagez's book on Classical Theory of Fields as a resource for a nicer derivation of the Lorentz transformations
keebz
Hey all!

I am a senior in college pretty much done with my mathematics major, but have had minimal physics. I'm currently self-studying special relativity with guidance from my advisor. Most of the books that I have come across use the algebraic/calculus approach such as Spacetime Physics by J. Wheeler and The Special Theory of Relativity by David Bohm. I also have Special Relativity: A Mathematical Exposition by Anadijiban Das but that one is far more mathematics than pedagogical physical explanations.

I do have Wolfgang Rindler's Intro. to Special Relativity which begins using four-tensors midway in. However, I'm just wondering if there are any other books out there like Rindler's which teach you special relativity using four-tensors and that whole complicated set of machinery usually reserved for general relativity. My search on Google and on here has not yet yielded any desirable results.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Special relativity doesn't really require tensors to understand well, and the tensor calculus/algebra usually takes some time to develop so most authors do not bother to do this for special relativity.

I think your best bet is to use a book in General relativity that starts off with Special relativity. For example, Schutz's book in General Relativity introduces tensors from the Special relativity point of view.

Schultz's book is a great place to start. I used it for self teaching too.

http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/nwoodh/sr/index.html (SR)
http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/nwoodh/gr/index.html (GR)

Last edited by a moderator:
Schutz's book is amazing so far, but I have a question regarding the derivation of the Lorentz transformation. All of the books I've listed above and even Schutz's just plainly state the equations of the Lorentz transformation (t', x', y', z'), or they derive it in a purely algebraic manner.

Why doesn't anyone actually derive it using trigonometry... using the infinitesimal rotation, hyperbolic sine and cosine functions, etc.? That way seems to me to be so much more intuitive than just symbolic manipulation and stating that the result is the Lorentz transformation. Same with the "Lorentz boost."

If you want a nicer derivation of the Lorentz transformations, refer to Landau and Lifgarbagez's book on Classical Theory of Fields (very early on, they develop SR). They do the best job from all the books I have studied and recall.

Related to Book for Special Relativity that uses Tensors

1. What is special relativity and why is it important?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

2. What are tensors and how are they used in special relativity?

Tensors are mathematical objects that represent the geometric properties of space and time. They are used in special relativity to describe the effects of gravity and the behavior of particles moving at high speeds.

3. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in several ways. It takes into account the effects of gravity, the concept of space-time, and the fact that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity.

4. What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many real-world applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics and cosmology.

5. Is special relativity difficult to understand?

Special relativity can be challenging to understand, but with the right resources and approach, it can be grasped by anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and physics. It is a fascinating and important topic in the field of science.