Book recommendation for 12th grader

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to study science thoroughly and their dissatisfaction with the education system. They ask for book recommendations for Chemistry, Maths, and Physics, and express concerns about missing out on important information if they choose one book over another. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of entrance exams and the speaker's interest in learning rather than focusing on a specific career.
I.C. Weiner
Hi everyone,

I've completed 12th grade, with low marks unfortunately, and I wish to study everything again thoroughly, because I both want a career in science, and I find it very interesting as well. The reason I didn't do good was partly my fault, and I think also due to the horrible education system present here. It emphasized too much on take everything for granted, don't question (no point actually, the teachers were unqualified and would confuse you further, showing you how, never telling WHY) and CRAM, CRAM, CRAM. At least, that's the way it was with my teachers.

I would like to know the names of some good books for Chemistry, Maths and Physics, that cover the following topics which I have listed, give in-depth explanations along with problems and if possible, provide solutions as well.

Also, I have been lurking around the site for a while looking at various threads which recommend books, and one thing which has been nagging me is, IF I get the book which Mr. abc recommends, which is by a certain author who has a certain approach, and I don't select another book which Mr. xyz recommends which is by someone else with a different approach, WILL I miss out on anything? Like if I take a certain authors' book on QM instead of someone else's, will I be at a disadvantage? That may be a stupid question but I can't help asking. My main fear is, if I read a book on a particular subject and miss out on something about the subject that is present in another book about the same subject.

Anyways, I'm listing the topics in my textbooks as further info

Chemistry:
1)The Solid state
2)Solutions
3)Electrochemistry
4)Chemical Kinetics
5)Surface Chemistry
6)General Principles and Processes of Isolation of elements
7)The P Block elements
8)The d and f block elements
9)Coordination compounds
10)Haloalkanes and Haloarenes
11)Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers
12)Aldeheydes, ketones and carboxylic acids
13)Organic compounds containing nitrogen
14)Biomolecules
15)Polymers
16)Chemistry in everyday life

Physics:

1)Electric charges and fields
2)Electrostatic potential and capacitance
3)Current electricity
4)Moving charges and magnetism
5)Magnetism and matter
6)Electromagnetic induction
7)Alternating current
8)Electromagnetic waves
9)Ray optics and optical instruments
10)Wave optics
11)Dual nature of radiation and matter
12)Atoms
13)Nuclei
14)Semiconductor electronics: Materials, devices and simple circuits
15)Communication systems

Maths:

1)Relations and functions
2)Inverse trigonometric functions
3)Matrices
4)Determinants
5)Continuity and differentiability
6)Application of derivatives
7)Integrals
8)Application of integrals
9)Differential equations
10)Vector algebra
11)Three dimensional geometry
12)Linear programming
13)Probability

If there is any information I have left out, please let me know.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I.C. Weiner said:
Also, I have been lurking around the site for a while looking at various threads which recommend books, and one thing which has been nagging me is, IF I get the book which Mr. abc recommends, which is by a certain author who has a certain approach, and I don't select another book which Mr. xyz recommends which is by someone else with a different approach, WILL I miss out on anything? Like if I take a certain authors' book on QM instead of someone else's, will I be at a disadvantage? That may be a stupid question but I can't help asking. My main fear is, if I read a book on a particular subject and miss out on something about the subject that is present in another book about the same subject.
Well, generally, the answer is yes, you will miss out on *something*. But you have to realize you can't read all books in the world that pertain to the subject you're interested in or want to learn more about. That's why people here try to recommend books that they themselves have found good and also comprehensive. Considering the fact that you're in Grade 12, I don't think you need to worry too much about "missing something" as you're not going to be doing rocket science just yet, and rather concentrate on learning material. Because also, that something you're missing may be something not really relevant to what you're trying to do, and in that case, it doesn't really matter that much if you posses knowledge of it or not. An example, say you go to a Flyers game instead of a Flames one. You're going to see the Flyers win and miss the Flames lose, but if you're interested in the Flyers, that shouldn't matter too much :smile:

Are you from India? The syllabus you've prescribed above is very similar to the class 12 syllabus in the CBSE board. Indeed, the educational structure here is awful and generations of students have suffered.
That being said, for physics, I'd advice you to pick up a book like Resnick, Halleday and Walker, (the edition doesn't matter) which is a standard text at that level. It will set a good grounding.
For math, look around the site for elementary texts on calculus and linear algebra. Spivak and Lang come readily to mind. These two authors have written fairly concise texts which will be appropriate.

Don't worry about the chemistry for now. It will all make sense later after you have a good grounding in physics.
Have you joined college as yet? You've mentioned you want to study science, but what exactly are you looking into?

First off, WHAT an awesome coincidence. My name is Anirudh too, and yes, I am in India, I forgot to mention that, my bad. No, I'm doing animation right now while I take a drop to study 12th and for entrance exams. I wanted to pursue a degree in computer engineering, but I'd settle for electrical or mechanical as well. I'm really still undecided to be perfectly honest. I'm more interested in learning than focusing on what career/field I want to go in, something which many people who I meet don't like.

P.S.- Thanks, Ryker, that eases my concerns somewhat...as long as I don't miss anything major ;)

Staying at home studying for the JEE isn't particularly helpful. However good you are, the exam is potluck. This includes all the other over-hyped entrance exams such as the AIEEE and what have you.
It is okay to focus on learning, but learning for entrance tests is pointless. It is a different ballgame altogether. Focus on learning computer science if that is what you are interested in, instead of unnecessarily running the rat race.

I never really aspired for JEE and such but was more interested in other "lower league" ones such as PET and CET which would land me at a college close to home, they're decent.

I wanted to learn it all again because I couldn't get it the first time, and it is something which is both important, something you cannot skip and also something which interests me very much. Computer science requires a good grip on maths and physics, which I don't have. That's just my perspective though.

Related to Book recommendation for 12th grader

1. What genre of books do you recommend for a 12th grader?

It ultimately depends on the individual's interests, but some popular genres for 12th graders include young adult fiction, classic literature, and non-fiction books about current events or historical events.

2. Are there any specific books that are highly recommended for 12th graders?

Some popular books for 12th graders include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger. However, it is important to choose books that align with the individual's interests and reading level.

3. How do I choose a book that is appropriate for a 12th grader?

When choosing a book for a 12th grader, it is important to consider their maturity level and reading level. It is also helpful to read reviews or summaries of the book to ensure it aligns with the individual's interests and values.

4. Are there any books that can help prepare a 12th grader for college?

There are many books that can help prepare a 12th grader for college, such as "How to Win at College" by Cal Newport, "The Naked Roommate" by Harlan Cohen, and "The Freshman Survival Guide" by Nora Bradbury-Haehl and Bill McGarvey. These books offer advice and tips on navigating college life and academics.

5. Are there any book recommendations for 12th graders that can also help with personal growth?

Yes, there are many books that can help with personal growth for 12th graders. Some popular options include "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens" by Sean Covey, "You Are a Badass" by Jen Sincero, and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. These books offer valuable lessons and insights on personal development and self-improvement.