Book recommendations for Boltzmann equation

In summary, the conversation discusses recommended books for beginners studying transport processes and the Boltzmann transport equation. The recommended books include "Electron Transport in Compound Semiconductors" by BR Nag and "The Relativistic Boltzmann Equation: Theory and Applications" by C. Cercignani and G. M. Kremer. Other resources mentioned include "Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes" by P. Danielewicz and "Quantum transport theory of nuclear matter" by W. Botermans and R. Malfliet. The conversation also mentions that BR Nag is a professor at the Institute of Radiophysics & Electronics Kolkata.
pcflores
Im trying to learn transport processes and the Boltzmann transport equation. What books do you guys recommend for beginners?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BR Nag: Electron Transport in Compound Semiconductors

my dissertation was on transport in anisotropic semiconductors and look for Madarasz in Phys Rev B in the mid '80's. PM me and I'll set you on the path if you want to read my thesis...

Likes vanhees71
I love vol. X of Landau&Lifshitz. It even contains the Schwinger-Keldysh real-time formalism in a later chapter, but it also starts out from the basic classical version and is the only book which gets the detailed-balance principle right. It's not necessary for the S-matrix to be symmetric under parity and time reversal, but unitarity is sufficient. Of course, the Boltzmann equation, the H theorem etc. works also for the weak interaction, which has a unitary S-matrix but is neither P nor T invariant.

For the relativistic Boltzmann equation, a marvelous book is

C. Cercignani, G. M. Kremer, The Relativistic Boltzmann Equation: Theory and Applications, Birkhäuser Verlag 2002.

For a derivation from quantum many-body theory (non-relativistic case), using the Keldysh real-time formalism a very good (even pedagogical) treatment can be found in

P. Danielewicz, Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes I, Ann. Phys., 152 (1984), p. 239.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-4916(84)90092-7

P. Danielewicz, Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes II. Application to Nuclear Collisions, Ann. Phys., 152 (1984), p. 305–326.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-4916(84)90093-9

Another standard review article is

W. Botermans and R. Malfliet, Quantum transport theory of nuclear matter, Phys. Rept., 198 (1990), p. 115–194.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0370-1573(90)90174-Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Transport said:
BR Nag: Electron Transport in Compound Semiconductors

my dissertation was on transport in anisotropic semiconductors and look for Madarasz in Phys Rev B in the mid '80's. PM me and I'll set you on the path if you want to read my thesis...
Wow. Prof Nag was my professor in Institute of Radiophysics & Electronics Kolkata - a brilliant teacher.

Related to Book recommendations for Boltzmann equation

1. What is the Boltzmann equation and why is it important?

The Boltzmann equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a gas at the molecular level. It is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the properties and behaviors of gases, such as pressure and temperature.

2. What are some good books to read for understanding the Boltzmann equation?

Some recommended books for understanding the Boltzmann equation include "Introduction to the Boltzmann Equation" by Carlo Cercignani, "Boltzmann's Legacy: An Introduction to Statistical Mechanics and Irreversibility" by G. Gallavotti, and "Statistical Mechanics: A Set of Lectures" by Richard Feynman.

3. Are there any beginner-friendly books on the Boltzmann equation?

Yes, "Statistical Mechanics Made Simple: A Guide for Students and Researchers" by Daniel C. Mattis is a beginner-friendly book that covers the basics of the Boltzmann equation and its applications in various fields of physics.

4. Can you recommend any advanced books on the Boltzmann equation?

For more advanced readers, "The Boltzmann Equation and Its Applications" by Carlo Cercignani is a comprehensive and in-depth guide to the Boltzmann equation and its applications in various fields, including kinetic theory and fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about the Boltzmann equation?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about the Boltzmann equation, such as MIT's OpenCourseWare, which offers free online lectures and course materials on statistical mechanics and the Boltzmann equation. Additionally, there are many research papers and articles available online that discuss the Boltzmann equation and its applications in different fields.