Book recommendations for self studying calculus.

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for learning calculus and mathematical analysis at the high school level. The speakers suggest starting with Michael Spivak, Tom Apostol, and Richard Courant before moving on to Walter Rudin. They also mention the importance of being comfortable with proofs and suggest reading "How to Prove it" and "How to Solve it" simultaneously.
kanderson
I can do calculus on a normal level from high school now but I would like to further myself. I was recommended Michael Spivak 4th Edition...Tom Apostol 1st and 2nd edition...Walter Rudin Mathematical Analysis 3rd Edition...Richard Courant 1 and 2 calculus/analysis introduction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are the best recommendations, in my opinion. If you do Spivak/Apostol/Courant well then you can pass on to Rudin. Starting with it won't teach you calculus and you have a good chance of enduring a major hard time. The purpose of mathematical analysis is to give a rigorous foundations for calculus and be one of the first courses to keep you accostumed to the mathematics you'll face from thereby on, so you will be skipping all the computational parts, physical interpretations, etc.

Of course, I'm assuming an average level calculus, but since I have no idea how far you went you may as well try reading Rudin a bit and see if you can handle.

Thank you fantini. Could you describe average calculus or what I should have to know before I try apostol?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good questions are how comfortable are you with proofs, can you follow most, possibly all, of them? Technically you don't need to know calculus before you try apostol, but most people agree that a first exposure softens a great deal the pain.

Thank you fantini...I will start learning proofs from a How to Prove it Structured approach by Daniel J Velleman

Another excellent recommendation about that is the classic "How to Solve it", by George Polya. It's fabulous, I'd say read them both at the same time.

I have that one somewhere, I shall go find it :D Thank you for reminding me I had that book.

FAQ: Book recommendations for self studying calculus.

1. What are some good books for self-studying calculus?

Some recommended books for self-studying calculus are "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "The Calculus Lifesaver" by Adrian Banner, and "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners or those with no prior knowledge of calculus?

Yes, "Calculus for Dummies" by Mark Ryan and "Calculus Essentials for Dummies" by Mark Ryan are both great options for beginners with no prior knowledge of calculus.

3. Are there any online resources or supplements that can accompany these books?

Yes, many of these books have online resources such as practice problems, video tutorials, and additional practice exercises. Some also come with accompanying workbooks or study guides.

4. Are there any books that focus on real-world applications of calculus?

Yes, "Calculus for the Life Sciences" by Raymond N. Greenwell, "Calculus for Business, Economics, Life Sciences, and Social Sciences" by Raymond A. Barnett, and "Calculus: An Applied Approach" by Ron Larson all have a focus on real-world applications of calculus.

5. Are there any books that cover both single and multivariable calculus?

Yes, "Calculus: Single and Multivariable" by Deborah Hughes-Hallett, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart are all comprehensive books that cover both single and multivariable calculus.