Book Recommendations in Multivariable Calculus

In summary, when looking for book recommendations in multivariable calculus, it is important to choose a text that is clear, concise, and offers a variety of examples and practice problems. Some highly recommended books include "Calculus: Multivariable" by James Stewart, "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, and "Multivariable Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards. Additionally, it is beneficial to seek out supplementary resources such as online tutorials and practice quizzes to further enhance understanding of the material.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am almost on the verge of completing single-variable Calculus, and I've got a book on the same by I. A. Maron. So, after getting a good grip on single-variable Calculus, I want to start with multivariable.

Can anyone recommend me good books on multivariable Calculus with which I could begin, and some more with good problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
I am almost on the verge of completing single-variable Calculus, and I've got a book on the same by I. A. Maron. So, after getting a good grip on single-variable Calculus, I want to start with multivariable.

Can anyone recommend me good books on multivariable Calculus with which I could begin, and some more with good problems?

You could always start here:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Wrichik Basu said:
Online tutorials are very good, but any books?

If I had a book to recommend, I would have recommended a book.

PeroK said:
If I had a book to recommend, I would have recommended a book.
Anyways, thank you.

Maybe Edwards and Penney? Hard to know what kind of book you want. there are so many with so many different appropaches and levels of abstraction. Courant is a classic and for a more theoretical treatment I liked Fleming, Calculus of several variables. I A Maron seems like just a problem book.

Likes Wrichik Basu
mathwonk said:
Maybe Edwards and Penney? Hard to know what kind of book you want. there are so many with so many different appropaches and levels of abstraction. Courant is a classic and for a more theoretical treatment I liked Fleming, Calculus of several variables. I A Maron seems like just a problem book.
I A Maron is used only as a problem book after learning Calculus.

Do you know linear algebra ?

if you tell us what book you learned single variable calculus and whether you liked it we could suggest a similar several variables book. or as often happens the same author may have a several variables book you could look at on your own. or are you looking for something with a different approach from your single variables book. or re you looking for a problem book in several variables?

Buffu said:
Do you know linear algebra ?
Linear algebra is a vast discipline; if you tell me a few topics, I may be able to say whether I've studied them.

mathwonk said:
if you tell us what book you learned single variable calculus and whether you liked it we could suggest a similar several variables book. or as often happens the same author may have a several variables book you could look at on your own. or are you looking for something with a different approach from your single variables book. or re you looking for a problem book in several variables?
I will surely name the book, but I know you'll not know it. I'm from Kolkata, India. Here, there is a famous book named "Higher Mathematics" by S. N. De. The book is very ideal for learning single variable Calculus at preliminary level, and hosts a good deal of exercises also.

I'm looking for a book from where I can learn multivariable Calculus, and also practice a few problems.

Likes Buffu
Likes Wrichik Basu
mathwonk said:
well you are still not giving me much to go on. I have already suggested 3 good books. Have you tried to look them up? Another one is the several variables calculus book by Lang.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387964053/?tag=pfamazon01-20here is another excellent one:

https://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Vector-Functions-Richard-Williamson/dp/013112367X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1496613815&sr=1-1&keywords=williamson,+crowell,+trotter
Edwards and Penney I've ordered for, and Lang and the other one I'll buy next week probably.

Thank you for the recommendations.

if you are willing to ask some of my Indian friends, they may know more about your books and may give better recommendations.

here is one, a famous indian algebraic geometer, S. Ramanan, of TIFR and Chennai Institute:

http://www.cmi.ac.in/people/fac-profile.php?id=sramanan

When I studied multivariable, I really liked Apostol Calculus,vol. 2. I really liked his exposition. Also the book by Williamson, Crowell, Trotter, as mathwonk said, is indeed fabulous.
By the way, since people tend to buy books, it will be quite easy to borrow a good book from the library for the whole semester, so you can save a lot of your money.

mr.tea said:
When I studied multivariable, I really liked Apostol Calculus,vol. 2. I really liked his exposition. Also the book by Williamson, Crowell, Trotter, as mathwonk said, is indeed fabulous.
By the way, since people tend to buy books, it will be quite easy to borrow a good book from the library for the whole semester, so you can save a lot of your money.
My semester is long to come, and it's a 2 year time after which I can call it semester. I'm in school currently, class XI, and my school library has no books on this topic.

Wrichik Basu said:
My semester is long to come, and it's a 2 year time after which I can call it semester. I'm in school currently, class XI, and my school library has no books on this topic.

The books mentioned above are quite good, and you can't really go wrong with them. You can always supplement it with nice and visual examples from the web, such as Paul's Online Math Notes(http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/MultiVrbleFcns.aspx), and mathinsight. Try to learn it and visualize the theory and problems as much as you can.

Likes Wrichik Basu
mr.tea said:
Apostol Calculus,vol. 2

How is the printing quality of that book ?

Buffu said:
Means? I got the book online here:

Removed by mentor due to copyright infringement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrichik Basu said:

Then as you can see it is not very readable.

Buffu said:
Then as you can see it is not very readable.
Why, I can read it well, because I've already read several books of this type of print (which I had inherited from my grandfather).

It's not that bad. Although I've not gone through the text, if you are concerned about the font and print, it's OK with me.

Likes Buffu
Wrichik Basu said:
Why, I can read it well, because I've already read several books of this type of print (which I had inherited from my grandfather).

It's not that bad. Although I've not gone through the text, if you are concerned about the font and print, it's OK with me.

Yes you are correct it is not quite as bad as the printed book in library but I still noticed some missing characters and ugly operators.

Buffu said:
Yes you are correct it is not quite as bad as the printed book in library but I still noticed some missing characters and ugly operators.
These prints always have some of these problems, but you have to work with them if you want to save money :biggrin:

Buffu said:

The paperback which is sold by Wiley India? I wish I knew. Apostol for 15 pounds per volume sounds nice! Although there are some reviews that says the print quality is not really good.

Wrichik Basu said:

This is also a great source for free books. You can find there some great books, and it's free(and legal)!

Likes Wrichik Basu
mr.tea said:
This is also a great source for free books. You can find there some great books, and it's free(and legal)!
I've downloaded several books from there, including D. J. Griffiths books. :angel::angel:

Likes mr.tea
Wrichik Basu said:
I've downloaded several books from there, including D. J. Griffiths books. :angel::angel:

You can find there tons of classics, it's just unbelievable!

mr.tea said:
The paperback which is sold by Wiley India? I wish I knew. Apostol for 15 pounds per volume sounds nice! Although there are some reviews that says the print quality is not really good.

No it was the hardcover. I think it was the bad boy of the lot.
Wiley India is known for spewing all the stuff in India in the form of cheap paperbacks. I don't get the reason for making cheap low quality books.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Buffu said:
No it was the hardcover. I think it was the bad boy of the lot.
Wiley India is known for spewing all the stuff in India in the form of cheap paperbacks. I don't get the reason for making cheap low quality books.

I used the hardcover from our library(quite a lot I can say), both volumes, second edition, and I don't remember anything bad with the printing quality.
They try to make it affordable, which is a good thing indeed. However, they should also keep the printing quality suitable for humans. Dover should give them a few lessons...

Likes Wrichik Basu
Thread closed for Moderation...
smodak said:
I am not sure that this book is made legally available on archive.
The legality of that website is under review by the Mentors. If anybody has information on their copyright policy, please send me a Private Message (click on my Avatar and Start a Conversation). Thank you.

berkeman said:
Thread closed for Moderation...

The legality of that website is under review by the Mentors. If anybody has information on their copyright policy, please send me a Private Message (click on my Avatar and Start a Conversation). Thank you.
I request the mentors to delete appropriate posts. I never knew that the website was illegal, I thought they had obtained permission from copyright holders for free distribution of books.

Related to Book Recommendations in Multivariable Calculus

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to functions of multiple variables.

2. Why is Multivariable Calculus important?

Multivariable Calculus is important because it is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena that involve multiple variables. It is also a fundamental tool in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

3. What are some good books for learning Multivariable Calculus?

Some popular books for learning Multivariable Calculus include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Multivariable Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards, and "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Multivariable Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Multivariable Calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss concepts and work on challenging problems together.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in single-variable calculus before studying Multivariable Calculus?

It is recommended to have a solid understanding of single-variable calculus before studying Multivariable Calculus. Many concepts in Multivariable Calculus build upon those in single-variable calculus, such as derivatives and integrals. However, some textbooks may include a review of single-variable calculus concepts at the beginning to help students refresh their knowledge.