Book recommendations on geometrical methods for physicists

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of obtaining a book on geometrical methods/subjects for physicists, specifically in the areas of Topology, Differential Geometry, and Gauge Fields. Various recommendations are made for books, including Burke's Applied Differential Geometry, Baez & Munian's Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity, and John M. Lee's three textbooks on manifolds. The conversation also touches on the trade-off between learning the underlying mathematics versus focusing on practical applications for physicists. Ultimately, it is recommended to read multiple books to gain a comprehensive understanding of the subject, with Tu's Introduction to Manifolds and Differential Geometry being suggested as a more streamlined option.
Joker93
Hello,
I would like to obtain a book that has to do with geometrical methods/subjects for physicists. When i say geometrical methods/subjects i mean things like Topology, Differential Geometry etc.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Differential geometry is a huge subject; different branches of physics use different parts of that subject. There is a variety of books covering this topic, as stated by one of our colleagues above. In case if you are looking for really working algorithms and software implementing methods of differential geometry for physical problems, they are hard to come by. Are you looking for such practical sources ?

Burke's Applied Differential Geometry and Baez & Munian's Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity are good "extra" texts to have for what you're looking for, because of their insightful treatments of the material they cover.

NumericalFEA said:
Differential geometry is a huge subject; different branches of physics use different parts of that subject. There is a variety of books covering this topic, as stated by one of our colleagues above. In case if you are looking for really working algorithms and software implementing methods of differential geometry for physical problems, they are hard to come by. Are you looking for such practical sources ?
No, i want to learn the underlying mathematics with some applications(which do not use algorithms and stuff)

The Bill said:
Burke's Applied Differential Geometry and Baez & Munian's Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity are good "extra" texts to have for what you're looking for, because of their insightful treatments of the material they cover.
Why did you add the word "Extra"? One can not learn by only using those books?

Adam Landos said:
Why did you add the word "Extra"? One can not learn by only using those books?

Because they aren't as comprehensive as the books I'd recommend as primary sources for learning modern differential geometry, and their pedagogy is aimed in a different direction.

For primary books, I'd recommend John M Lee's three textbooks on manifolds. Topological, then Smooth, then Riemannian.

Likes jbergman
The Bill said:
Because they aren't as comprehensive as the books I'd recommend as primary sources for learning modern differential geometry, and their pedagogy is aimed in a different direction.

For primary books, I'd recommend John M Lee's three textbooks on manifolds. Topological, then Smooth, then Riemannian.
But going through three books will be very time depleting, especially for self study. The reason that i want a book on these subjects that is aimed at physicists is because physicists only learn the stuff that they need, so i would conserve time by reading a book like that. Otherwise, i would learn those subject in the deepest way, in a way that might contain your three books.

Adam Landos said:
But going through three books will be very time depleting, especially for self study. The reason that i want a book on these subjects that is aimed at physicists is because physicists only learn the stuff that they need, so i would conserve time by reading a book like that. Otherwise, i would learn those subject in the deepest way, in a way that might contain your three books.
All the books I mentioned are famous in their class and are usually recommended. But I think Schutz's is more proper for you.

Likes mpresic3
You can't have it both ways. Either you learn the underlying mathematics, which will take several books. Or you take the physicists approach which will teach you how to teach the computations but not the underlying math.

Likes jbergman and NumericalFEA
I'd recommend Tu's Introduction to Manifolds and then his Differential Geometry book. Lee's books are the best but they are pretty exhaustive. Tu's are much more streamlined, and, IMO, clearer and you can probably learn 80% of what is in Lee's books.

Likes atyy
I would also recommend Barrett's Semi-Riemannian Geometry. The nice thing about that book is that it deals with the Geometry of General and Special Relativity. It also covers much of what is in Lee's and Tu's books but at a much more rapid pace.

Likes atyy

Related to Book recommendations on geometrical methods for physicists

1. What are some recommended books on geometrical methods for physicists?

There are several great books that cover geometrical methods for physicists, including "Geometrical Methods of Mathematical Physics" by Bernard F. Schutz, "Geometry, Topology and Physics" by Mikio Nakahara, and "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V.I. Arnol'd.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books on geometrical methods for physicists?

Yes, "A First Course in Geometric Topology and Differential Geometry" by Ethan D. Bloch and "Geometrical Methods in Mathematical Physics" by Bernard F. Schutz are both great options for beginners looking to learn about geometrical methods for physicists.

3. Do these books require a strong background in mathematics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is helpful for understanding geometrical methods, some of these books are written with a more gentle approach and can be understood by those with a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of multivariable calculus and differential equations for a deeper understanding.

4. Can these books be used for self-study or are they better suited for a classroom setting?

These books can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. However, it may be helpful to have a teacher or tutor to guide you through the material and answer any questions you may have.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials to accompany these books?

Some of these books may have accompanying websites or online resources, such as lecture notes or problem sets, that can enhance your understanding of the material. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where you can discuss and ask questions about geometrical methods for physicists with others who are also studying the subject.