Book reviews and recommendations

• Thread starter Druidu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking recommendations for books on math, science, and physics in order to self-teach and prepare for their upcoming enrollment in a Computer Science program. They mention their lack of recent education in these subjects and apologize for not being able to narrow down their specific needs. They also mention finding a thread with book recommendations.
Druidu
Well it’s my first post here so I guess I can start out by saying hello. *wave*

As the title implies, I am looking for recommendations on books regarding math (although sciences, physics, and any other books to help farther my education would be a great help as well). The thing is, I am enrolling in collage for the 2009 school year for my bachelors in Computer Science and I really don't want to spend the beginning year taking courses I should of, or did take during my high school days. So from now tell when I begin classes I am going to be spending my spare time self teaching the basics from where I left off to as advanced as I can manage in the time frame.

The last math course I was in was about two years ago, and it was a high school Algebra II class. The public school systems in this area is not the greatest, and it’s been some time so I will be looking for books aimed at below average Algebra II knowledge and above. Hopefully some centered on people trying to self teach themselves math. As for science I have no idea where to start because in all honesty I can’t remember the last science course I was in, and for physics I most likely shouldn’t even bother tell I have a great understanding on mathematics. So science and physics are not awfully high on my priority list at the moment.

Sorry that I can’t narrow in more on topics I need material on, and that’s mainly due to the fact I need to learn nearly everything, not just a single topic haha.

As always, any replies would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Err well I feel smart now, didn't even see the book review section haha. I guess glancing over the search result screen wasn't a very thorough search now was it.

Another edit, seems emsidis fulfills my request in a few posts under mine... once again, I feel smart :blushing:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
read my thread who wants to be a mathematician, where i and others give detailed book recommendations at all levels.

Hello and welcome! It's great to see someone interested in self-teaching and furthering their education. I would recommend starting with some basic math books that cover topics such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. These will give you a strong foundation for more advanced subjects.

For science, I suggest starting with general science books that cover a broad range of topics, such as biology, chemistry, and physics. This will help you get a good understanding of the basics before delving into more specific subjects.

As for physics, it's never too early to start learning! I would recommend finding some introductory books that cover the fundamental principles and equations of physics. Even if you don't fully understand them at first, it will give you a head start when you do eventually take a physics course.

In terms of book recommendations, it's always helpful to read reviews from others who have used the book. You can also ask for recommendations from your peers or professors. And don't forget about online resources such as Khan Academy, which offers free educational videos and practice exercises for a variety of subjects.

Good luck on your journey to self-teaching and I wish you all the best in your studies!

FAQ: Book reviews and recommendations

1. What is the purpose of a book review?

The purpose of a book review is to provide a critical evaluation of a book in order to help potential readers decide whether or not to read it. It also serves as a way for readers to share their opinions and thoughts about the book.

2. How do I know if a book review is reliable?

A reliable book review should come from a reputable source, such as a professional book critic or a well-known publication. It should also provide specific details about the book and its strengths and weaknesses, rather than just a general opinion.

3. How can I find book recommendations?

There are several ways to find book recommendations, including asking friends and family for their favorite books, browsing bestseller lists, checking out book review websites or blogs, and joining book clubs or online communities dedicated to discussing books.

4. Should I trust star ratings when choosing a book?

Star ratings can be a helpful tool when choosing a book, but they should not be the only factor to consider. It's important to also read the written reviews and see if the book aligns with your personal interests and preferences.

5. How do I write a book review?

To write a book review, start by providing a brief summary of the book without giving away any major spoilers. Then, discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the book, providing specific examples to support your opinions. Finally, conclude with your overall recommendation and who you think would enjoy the book.