Books about gravitational waves

In summary,Nik98 is a high school graduate who is interested in gravitational waves. He recommends MTW's Gravitation as an "intermediate" textbook, and recommends Schutz's A First Course in General Relativity as a better book for someone who has already learned calculus. He also recommends Collier for someone who just finished high school.
Nik98
Can someone recommend me some beginner/intermediate level books about gravitational waves and some articles about their discovery.
I need to write scientific paper about them for my graduation but i don't have resources where to find about them so i would really appreciate help :)

Likes Buffu
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler's treatment of gravitational waves in their Gravitation. It's currently out of print, but there is a new printing being done later this year, and it is in a lot of university libraries, so it's easy to find to read if not to own right away.

Given the original post in this thread, and the post

Nik98 said:
I'm just a guy who loves physics and who will start studying theoretical physics in October.
I'm interested in many fields of physics and still discovering new fascinating things about this science.
If i ask stupid questions sometimes please bear with me :)

in the New Member Introductions Forum, I think that Nik98 is about to graduate from high school.

Likes Demystifier and dextercioby
Ah. MTW's Gravitation fits my normal definition of an "intermediate" textbook. In this case I suppose Schutz's A First Course in General Relativity would be better. I recommend it with the understanding that the OP will have to grow into it, referring back to it as more calculus is learned and applied over the course of the first few years of university.

The Bill said:
Ah. MTW's Gravitation fits my normal definition of an "intermediate" textbook. In this case I suppose Schutz's A First Course in General Relativity would be better. I recommend it with the understanding that the OP will have to grow into it, referring back to it as more calculus is learned and applied over the course of the first few years of university.
For someone who just finished the high school and wants immediately to jump into general relativity, probably the best book is Collier
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JRJ1VK/?tag=pfamazon01-20
The second edition ends with a chapter on gravitational waves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes smodak
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Demystifier

Related to Books about gravitational waves

What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars.

How were gravitational waves first discovered?

Gravitational waves were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity in 1916. They were indirectly observed through the study of the orbit of a binary pulsar in 1974, and directly detected by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in 2015.

What are the applications of studying gravitational waves?

Studying gravitational waves can help us better understand the nature of black holes and other massive objects, as well as the origins and evolution of the universe. It also has potential applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and even technology.

What are some notable books about gravitational waves?

Some notable books about gravitational waves include "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, "Gravity's Kiss" by Harry Collins, and "Einstein's Unfinished Symphony" by Marcia Bartusiak.

Are there any recent advancements in the study of gravitational waves?

Yes, there have been several recent advancements in the study of gravitational waves, including the detection of the first binary neutron star merger in 2017 and the development of new technologies such as the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA) which will be able to detect gravitational waves from even more distant sources.