Books about the foundations of mathematics

In summary, the conversation suggests that for someone in high school seeking an introduction to foundations of mathematics, recommended books include "Introduction to Set theory" by Hrbacek and Jech for axiomatic set theory, "Mathematical logic" by Ebbinghaus for mathematical logic, and "A mathematical introduction to logic" by Enderton for introductory logic. "A Tour Through Mathematical Logic" by Robert Wolf is also mentioned as a well-written and accessible book. Another recommendation is "Theory of Sets" by Bourbaki.
saltkraxen
Hello,

Does anyone know of any good books that covers the foundations of mathematics (i.e. mathematical logic, axiomatic set theory, proof theory, model theory, type theory, recursion theory...)?

Keeping in mind that I'm still in high school. (Although I'm taking math courses at my local university.)

EDIT: Should this be in: "Math & Science Learning Materials"? Mod can move it if he/she thinks so... (This is my first post...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For axiomatic set theory, an extremely good introduction is "Introduction to Set theory" by Hrbacek and Jech: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0824779150/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A good book on mathematical logic is "Mathematical logic" by Ebbinghaus: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387942580/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This may be hard for a beginner though, so check it out before buying.

A good introductory book on logic is "A mathematical introduction to logic" from Enderton: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0122384520/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the middle of Robert Wolf's A Tour Through Mathematical Logic. It's so far beautifully written and accessible.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bourbaki's 'Theory of Sets' covers some of that and is quite a nice book to go through.

FAQ: Books about the foundations of mathematics

1. What is the purpose of books about the foundations of mathematics?

The purpose of books about the foundations of mathematics is to provide an in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts that form the basis of mathematics. These books explore the origins, development, and applications of mathematical theories and methods, and help readers gain a deeper appreciation for the importance and beauty of mathematics.

2. Who should read books about the foundations of mathematics?

Books about the foundations of mathematics are suitable for anyone with an interest in mathematics, from students and educators to professionals in various fields. They are particularly helpful for those studying advanced mathematics or pursuing a career in a math-related field, as they provide a strong foundation for further learning and application.

3. What topics are typically covered in books about the foundations of mathematics?

Books about the foundations of mathematics cover a wide range of topics, including logic, set theory, number theory, geometry, and algebra. They also delve into the history of mathematics, exploring the contributions of various mathematicians and the evolution of mathematical theories and concepts over time.

4. Are books about the foundations of mathematics difficult to understand?

The level of difficulty in books about the foundations of mathematics can vary, depending on the intended audience and the specific topics covered. Some books may be more accessible to general readers, while others may be geared towards advanced students or professionals. However, with dedication and effort, anyone can gain a solid understanding of the foundations of mathematics through these books.

5. How can reading books about the foundations of mathematics benefit me?

Reading books about the foundations of mathematics can benefit you in several ways. It can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, enhance your understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications, and broaden your perspective on the history and development of mathematics. Additionally, studying the foundations of mathematics can also be a rewarding and intellectually stimulating experience.