Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan

• Intro Math
  • Thread starter NotGauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Proofs
In summary: Somebody to ask questions too, or somebody who can test your knowledge of the material? That is pretty essential. Way more essential than a proof book could ever be.Testing your knowledge of material is essential, and is much more important than a proof book.
NotGauss
Hello all!
I am looking at books related to proofs, I have been looking around and it appears that either, "How it Prove It" or "Book of Proof" seem to be the top recommendations. Has anybody had any experience with these text and/or could provide some insight. Currently I am working through Apostol Vol. 1, will be starting Linear Spaces (Chapter 15) within a week or so and was thinking about doing a proof based book prior to going on to Apostol Vol. 2. Any input would be very appreciated.

Thank you for your time and help,
Jonathan

Likes Logical Dog
Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoyed How to Prove it a lot. I don't remember the exact contents, but the second half (or so) of the book is pretty non-essential unless you want to go deeper into set theory.

Likes Logical Dog
I have both in harcopy..they are excellent, I've finished 2/3 of book of proof. and about 20 pages of how to prove it :P

dkotschessaa said:
I enjoyed How to Prove it a lot. I don't remember the exact contents, but the second half (or so) of the book is pretty non-essential unless you want to go deeper into set theory.

What is non-essential? Countable? Schroder-Bernstein? Induction? Injective?

Likes Logical Dog
micromass said:
What is non-essential? Countable? Schroder-Bernstein? Induction? Injective?

Essential for learning how to write proofs? No (except induction, if it is not already known).

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
Essential for learning how to write proofs? No (except induction, if it is not already known).

-Dave K

No book is essential to write proofs. I could teach a person to write proofs in one day (and I have done that before with success). A book of proof tries to give essential prerequisite knowledge to be able to read any math book. Countable, injective, functions are all essential such knowledge. It's not only essential if you want to go into set theory, you'll use it virtually everywhere.

Jonathan Kyle said:
@micromass, so that was a bit over my head

Topics and definitions that you will certainly run into in your higher level/more abstract math classes. It is up to you if you want to learn them ahead of time. I never got that far in that particular book.

Should I go with a proof book prior to Apostol Vol II, currently or finish my Apostol sequence first. The proofs I have encountered thus far I can muscle through with internet searches but I feel as though I don't completely grasp them.

Jonathan Kyle said:
Should I go with a proof book prior to Apostol Vol II, currently or finish my Apostol sequence first. The proofs I have encountered thus far I can muscle through with internet searches but I feel as though I don't completely grasp them.

Doesn't really matter. A proof book won't help you much with Apostol, although what's inside it is very important for the rest of mathematics. So whether you do a proof book or Apostol II first is up to you. You could even work through them at the same time.

More imprtantly though, don't you have anybody to ask questions too, or somebody who can test your knowledge of the material? That is pretty essential. Way more essential than a proof book could ever be.

Jonathan Kyle said:

I don't think it is essential to read a proof book in order to start doing math. If you're strugging with Apostol I doubt a proof book will help much, better to read another analysis book alongside Apostol or a naive set theory book such as the one by Halmos.

OK, thank you very much for the input!

micromass said:
No book is essential to write proofs. I could teach a person to write proofs in one day (and I have done that before with success).

That's great, and I'm glad it worked for those people. I personally found enormous benefit in learning logic, quantifiers, proof methods, etc. outside the context of a math course. A lot of people were very quick to tell me what a waste of time this was and I am glad to have ignored them.

A book of proof tries to give essential prerequisite knowledge to be able to read any math book. Countable, injective, functions are all essential such knowledge. It's not only essential if you want to go into set theory, you'll use it virtually everywhere.

So important are these topics that they will be covered ad nauseum in every upper level undergraduate math course. Learning them ahead of time is a great idea if one has the resources and time to do so. My point was that I didn't learn them from Velleman.

-Dave K

Likes Logical Dog

Related to Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan

1. What is the purpose of "Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan"?

The purpose of "Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan" is to provide a comprehensive and structured guide for learning how to write mathematical proofs. The book covers various proof techniques, examples, and exercises to help readers develop their skills in proof writing.

2. Who is the author of "Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan"?

The author of "Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan" is Jonathan Smith, a mathematician and educator with over 10 years of experience teaching proof-based courses.

3. What level of math is required to understand "Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan"?

"Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan" is suitable for readers at the undergraduate level and above. A basic understanding of logic, set theory, and mathematical notation is recommended.

4. How is "Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan" different from other books on proof writing?

"Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan" is unique in its approach to teaching proof writing. It focuses on developing a step-by-step method for constructing proofs, rather than just presenting a list of proof techniques. The book also includes exercises with detailed solutions to help readers practice and improve their skills.

5. Can "Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan" be used for self-study?

Yes, "Books for Learning Proofs | Jonathan" is designed for self-study and can be used by individuals looking to improve their proof writing skills. The book is also suitable for use in a classroom setting, with the option for instructors to assign exercises for students to complete.