Books on quantum computing, qbits

In summary, "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang is considered the best introductory book on quantum computing. It covers a range of topics, from basic quantum mechanics to quantum error correction, and provides clear explanations. However, it may not include the latest developments and the experimental section may be outdated. Despite this, it is still highly recommended as a thorough introduction to the concepts of quantum computation.
Edward Wij
please share the best clearest introductory books or articles (like from sci-am or discover magazine with colorful illustrations)) on quantum computing (or quantum computers) like how they are implemented in the hardware. I see thousands of examples of quantum entanglements in books, magazine but very short on quantum computing.. for example.. how does the qbit exactly factor numbers.. specifically how is this implemented in the hardware part, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best introduction and overview to quantum computation is: "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang. It contains a lot of stuff, well explained, from basic quantum mechanics up to quantum error correction. However, this book is some years old now and it doesn't cover what's new, and there's been quite a lot of development in some areas, in particular the experimental section is quite outdated now. As a thorough introduction to the concepts however, I still think it's the best, and I can recommend starting with it.

FAQ: Books on quantum computing, qbits

1. What is quantum computing and how is it different from classical computing?

Quantum computing utilizes the principles of quantum physics to perform operations on data, whereas classical computing uses classical physics principles. The fundamental difference is that quantum computers use qubits, which can exist in multiple states at once, whereas classical computers use bits, which can only exist in one of two states (0 or 1).

2. What is a qubit and how does it work?

A qubit, or quantum bit, is the basic unit of quantum information. Unlike classical bits, which can only exist in one of two states, qubits can exist in multiple states at once through a principle called superposition. This allows for more complex calculations and potential for faster processing speeds in quantum computing.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to impact many industries, such as finance, healthcare, and defense. Some specific applications include drug discovery, optimization problems, and cryptography.

4. How can I learn more about quantum computing and qubits?

There are many books and online resources available for learning about quantum computing and qubits. Some popular books on the topic include "Quantum Computing for Everyone" by Chris Bernhardt and "Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction" by Eleanor Rieffel and Wolfgang Polak.

5. Are there any current limitations or challenges in quantum computing?

There are still many challenges to overcome in the field of quantum computing, such as the fragility of qubits and the difficulty of scaling up quantum systems. Additionally, there is a lack of skilled professionals in the field, which is a barrier to further development and progress.