Books on Renormalization (Group) Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book on renormalization theory and recommends "Renormalization Methods - A Guide for Beginners" by W.D. McComb and "Renormalization" by J.C. Collins as potential resources. The first section of McComb's book is said to be a comprehensive introduction to the subject, while Collins' book is recommended for particle theorists.
silverwhale
Hello Everybody,

I am searching for a book that introduces the theory of renormalization other then Peskin Schroeder, I found Peskin Schroeder cumbersome regarding this topic.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I recently bought 'renormalization methods - a guide for beginners' by W.D. McComb, mainly because it also uses RNG on topics other than quantum mechanics (e.g. fluid dynamics).

It starts with this in the preface:
"... the questions that I am most frequently asked are:
'Is there an easy account on the subject?' and
'is there some application to a simple toy model which I could study?'
<...>
The aim of the present book, therefore, is to make the basic ideas of the subject available to a wider audience.
<...>
the first section, which comprises chapters 1-3, is intended to be complete in itself..."

I'm not into quantum mechanics, so for me I think it was a good choice. Still, there are many topics in the book that I know nothing about, like models for magnets and ir and uv divergences, but the first section tries to treat it (edit:renormalization) in a general manner.

Likes silverwhale
Sounds intersting, I'll check the book!

How about

J. C. Collins. Renormalization. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, Melbourne, 1986.

Mandl and Shaw is very good as an introduction to Renormalization theory for particle theorists. I checked McCombs books, it didn't help me much as it is too general, but may be helpful for later usage. I'll check Collins in the coming days.

Related to Books on Renormalization (Group) Theory

1. What is renormalization (group) theory?

Renormalization (group) theory is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of systems at various scales, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It allows for the refinement of physical theories by taking into account the effects of smaller or larger scales on the overall behavior of a system.

2. Why is renormalization (group) theory important?

Renormalization (group) theory has been crucial in advancing our understanding of fundamental physical phenomena, such as the behavior of subatomic particles and the nature of phase transitions. It has also been applied in other fields, such as statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics.

3. What are the key principles of renormalization (group) theory?

The key principles of renormalization (group) theory include the idea that physical properties can change as we zoom in or out on a system, and that these changes can be described by a set of equations known as the renormalization group equations. The theory also takes into account the concept of universality, where different systems can exhibit the same behavior at a critical point.

4. What are the different types of renormalization (group) theory?

There are several types of renormalization (group) theory, including Wilsonian renormalization, Kadanoff's block-spinning method, and Callan-Symanzik equation. These approaches have different mathematical formulations but all aim to describe how physical properties change at different scales.

5. How has renormalization (group) theory evolved over time?

Renormalization (group) theory has undergone several developments since its inception in the 1940s. One major milestone was the discovery of asymptotic freedom, which showed that the strength of interactions between particles decreases at shorter distances. Other advancements include the use of computer simulations to test predictions of the theory and the application of renormalization group techniques in fields outside of physics.