Boost Your Cable TV Signal with Our Reliable Cable Boosters

• Thread starter jake jot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary: I put the 20 meters outside the house exposed to sun and rain. How could it degrade the signal when there is a rubber cover to the coax?The cover can degrade the signal if it is not properly sealed. The best active amplifier for coax is a power supplies.
Tom.G said:
Amphenol is one of the top coax suppliers, stick with them if you can.
The Amphenol Global Search page, below, that has several entries that my old computer can not talk to is VERY slow to respond. Hopefully you can get more information from them.

INSERT: Just found TFC-10;
created by(?): Times Fiber Communications http://www.timesfiber.com
also made by Amphenol: https://www.amphenol.com/gsearch/ctfc-t10?page=1

The cable you have is 75 Ohm and has a shield layer that is extruded Aluminum, not foil like the indoor ones most folks are used to. As such it is probably a little more sensitive to repeated bending. If outdoors (as it is designed for) it probably should be restrained from flapping in the wind, repeated bending may eventually crack the shield, causing signal loss. (the flapping and bending is speculation on my part, based on the descriptions on the manufacturers website)

tfc shielding.jpg

I wonder why TFC-T10 used extruded aluminum shielding which can break easily. What were they thinking? And why would cable companies prefer it over RG6?? The reason for my pixelization could be partly broken aluminum shielding.

Also it's frustrating the websites don't have have very basic info like how the copper of it compared in size to the center copper of the RG6. The following is the TFC-T10 at left side compared to the RG59 cooper. The RG59 copper is smaller. And it is too loose to fit in the Isolator and even cable box. So I need to buy RG6 online to make it fit and work.

tfc vs rg59.jpg

One site says you can directly connect RG6 to the TFC-T10 with an 'F' male-male connector. Since they are both 75 Ohm you should be good to go.

Is it not a typo? Shouldn't it be 'F' female to female? Because both the TFC-T10 and RG6 are male.

The amplifier you are looking for would be an "Antenna Booster" or a "Distribution Amplifier." Both require power and actually amplify the signal. If you see some that advertise improvement but do NOT require power, they are probably lying.

The Antenna Booster would be the lower cost option and would likely help/hide the problem.

Distribution Amplifiers come in a wide range of capabilities and costs, from \$$ to \$$\$$\$.

Cheers,
Tom

Computer science news on Phys.org
jake jot said:
Also it's frustrating the websites don't have have very basic info like how the cooper of it compared in size to the center cooper of the RG6
That information is often in the technical datasheet from the manufacturer, but is still often hard to find.
jake jot said:
The RG59 cooper is smaller. And it is too loose to fit in the Isolator and even cable box. So I need to buy RG6 online to make it fit and work.
If the connections are going to indoors and left alone, not moved around, you can put a couple small "S" bends in the enter wire so it will make contact.
jake jot said:
Is it not a typo? Shouldn't it be 'F' female to female? Because both the TFC-T10 and RG6 are male.
Well, Google agrees with you.
However that is one of the crazy wordings in electronics. If you are talking about the plug on the end of your electric toaster, that is Male because the only mating parts are the pins that go into the wall outlet.

If you are talking about a connector that has a shell and one or more conductors, then the sex of the shell is often used. More common, at least in military connectors, is to call them Plug and Receptacle.

Some of this type connector can have contacts that are either Male or Female, in that case the contacts are called Pin and Socket.

Here are two photos of a Receptacle, one with Pins, the other with Sockets.

--
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/276384
--
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/276385
MS-BoxMount-Pins.png
MS-BoxMount-Socket.png

--

Not sure all the above helps your problem much.

Cheers,
Tom

Back