Bosons/fermions trapped in a 1 dimensional trap

• Thread starter zinDo
  • Start date
In summary: That depends on the spin of the particles, whether they are bosons or fermions. In summary, the conversation discusses the writing of the Hamiltonian in 1st and 2nd quantization for a system of bosons or fermions trapped in a potential. The main question is about describing the ground state and looking for the lowest energy. The conversation also mentions the difference between bosons and fermions in terms of filling states and the exclusion principle.
zinDo

Homework Statement

A system of bosons or fermions trapped in a potential.
I'm being asked to write the Hamiltonian in 1st and 2nd quantization and "describe the ground state" of the system.

My main question is: what does it mean to describe the ground state? What should I look for? Should I look for the lowest energy?

Homework Equations

1 dimensional MOT-trap: ##V(x)=mw^2x^2/2##

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt for writing the hamiltonian:
1st quantization ##H=\sum_{i=1}^{N}\frac{p_i^2}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}mw^2x_i^2##
2nd quantization: ##H=\int dx \psi^{\dagger}(x)\left[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2+\frac{1}{2}mw^2x_i^2\right]\psi(x)##
Where ##\psi(x)## isthe field operator.

Do you think this is enough? Are the hamiltonians equal for both bosons or fermions? Am I missing all the important stuff?

As for describing the ground state I don't know, my attempt has been writing down the many-body wavefunction (I don't know why, just to put something) for each case and explain that bosons can all be at the ground state and fermions have the exclusion principle.
##\Psi^{(S)}=N_S\sum_p \phi_1(x_1) \phi_2(x_2)... \phi_N(x_N)##
##\Psi^{(A)}=N_A\sum_p sgn(p)\phi_1(x_1) \phi_2(x_2)... \phi_N(x_N)##

Any advice/guidance?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zinDo said:
My main question is: what does it mean to describe the ground state? What should I look for? Should I look for the lowest energy?
Yes, that is the ground state by definition.
zinDo said:
and explain that bosons can all be at the ground state and fermions have the exclusion principle.
That's the important difference between the two. Which states will be filled in the different cases?

Related to Bosons/fermions trapped in a 1 dimensional trap

What are bosons and fermions?

Bosons and fermions are two types of elementary particles that make up the building blocks of matter. Bosons have integer spin and follow Bose-Einstein statistics, while fermions have half-integer spin and follow Fermi-Dirac statistics.

What is a 1 dimensional trap?

A 1 dimensional trap is a physical system in which particles are confined to move only along a single dimension. This can be achieved using various methods such as electromagnetic fields or optical lattices.

How are bosons and fermions trapped in a 1 dimensional trap?

Bosons and fermions can be trapped in a 1 dimensional trap using the same methods as for any other particles. The main difference is that due to their different statistical properties, bosons can occupy the same quantum state while fermions cannot.

Why is trapping bosons and fermions in a 1 dimensional trap important?

Trapping particles in a 1 dimensional trap allows scientists to study their behavior and interactions in a highly controlled environment. This can provide insights into the fundamental properties of matter and potential applications in fields such as quantum computing.

What are some potential applications of trapping bosons and fermions in a 1 dimensional trap?

Some potential applications include creating quantum simulators for studying complex quantum systems, developing quantum sensors for precision measurements, and building quantum computers for more efficient and powerful computing.